Grrr...which Holland Lop sister to keep!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
To be honest, I want to keep both. They're full sisters from the same litter.

BUT, as with all small rabbitries, cage space is precious. So, what doe do you like better?

My thoughts on them:
Black doe - super small, type girl. Dwarf. Nice hindquarter. Nice ears, short, well rounded. Head is nicely rounded. Balanced nicely overall. BUT: tight crown and flighty. Small, not sure how she will do as a brood doe. Narrow face. (she's actually a nice dark black...just washed out in the picture)

Broken Black doe - massive girl, definitely a false dwarf, brood doe. I love her mass, lots of width. Thick, well balanced. Has width between eyes and a nicely round head. Good width to crown. A lot friendlier then her sister. BUT: a bit pinched in hindquarter, not bad just a bit. Slipper front feet. Slipped crown. She'll give me large litters and raise them well. I'm not so sure about the black girl.

At this point I think I just need another set of eyes to spot something I'm not seeing :)

Attachments

• DSC_6392.jpg
    DSC_6392.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,336
  • DSC_6345.jpg
    DSC_6345.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,336
The black

Although the black has a tighter crown, from my experience in HL, sometimes just being non-dwarf can loosen the crown (&lengthen the ears), so they might even be the same genetically. Also, light colored Hollands appear wider in the eyes than darker varieties - it is hard to go off appearance, often when evaluating Hollands I use my finger to measure width between varieties.

I'm with the others...the black beats the broken hands down.

She is better overall composed. It doesn't matter how wide they are if they are longer in midsection (which the broken looks to be) or if they have long feet (again like the broken black). Put the black with a strong headed buck that's wide to boot and you should have some nice kits. Have a doe ready to foster and replace her with a better daughter.

The broken black looks more like ones I'd be likely to pet out (long feet, slipped crown, long midsection, lacking fullness in midsection, chest width). The slightly pinched hq would do it for me let alone any of the other issues. Holland Lops are just really tough :( She looks like she's longer in shoulder as well, but hard to tell with angle.

I do like the broken black though, so much cuter and looks friendlier. She looks like one of the ones you could smush up and just hug on all day. But that's from an awwww soo cute perspective...not breeding.

Back