Grrr - chicken issue ...ordering issue ..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
Oh boy - thanks for the help with deciding when to get the chicks ... turns out the place I was planning to order from (local hatchery with an EXCELLENT reputation) is not hatching meat chicks this year! DRATS and figures ..

anybody ordered from Frey's? They deliver to my local feed store .. or have any other Ontario ideas?

thanks in advance :)

A lot of people order from Frey's and as far as I know they have a good reputation. And for meat birds they are likely cheaper than the local hatchery. There's some kind of chicken place in Brighton, I think... That might work for you. I'll see if I can find any contact information.

We order from Frey's 2x's a year and have never had any problems. I can't tell you about any others as we have never had a need to look elsewhere. :D

We order, day old White Rock X, usually within the first 2 weeks of April that way they are ready by the end of June before it gets too hot. The second batch we order in mid August that saves a little on the heat lamp while they are young and they are ready by the end of October. :)

My timing has to be pretty specific .. I need to pick up mid June and butcher end of August .. our place keeps a nice breeze and there is lots of shade so hopefully they'll be ok ... I really appreciate your input - we are thinking of doing 10 the first time ... any thoughts on that number?

I think this is the company I was thinking of, Brody, but I don't have any details. You might find it easier to get them from Frey's. All I know about Archer's is that they have been there forever.

Archer's Poultry Farm Ltd Pltry Dir
RR 3
Brighton, on K0K 1H0
Phone: (613) 475-0820

Just do whatever works for you. We have a large family so they pitch in for feed and we grow them out for everyone. We do 100 in the spring and then figure out what we need in the fall, usually about another 75. If you want to end up with 10 you might want to order a couple extra to account for some loss.:)

I think my poor hubby would die if I ewent for 100 to start ... :)

Thanks for the lead Maggie - if the Frey's doesn't look like it's going to work out at least I have options :)

Did the weasel leave your flock alone? Smooches to them all especially my favourite geesies in the world and little Miss Buffy.

Well, Marilla killed one weasel here in the house a while back.

No problems in the chicken house this winter. Once the weasel cleaned out the rats last year and paid itself in chickens :grit: we patched the holes in the chicken house and have had no further problems. Everyone came through the winter in good shape. Buffy had minor frostbite on her comb but that's pretty normal and it didn't slow her down any. She was our best layer this winter, just taking a couple of weeks off in January. The Buckeyes are laying now... funny pointy eggs compared to Buffy's beautiful ones.

The geesies are great. Patrick is a bit hormonal right now... hissing and so forth ... but not too bad. He and his girls are out in the field most of the day now, splashing in puddles and grazing and doing the things geesies do in the spring. :D

The bunny colony seems to be working well again, now that we divided it. You should have seen Pudge and his buddy capering about in there yesterday.

So cool - and so glad it's back to egg time :) Buffy's eggs truly are things of beauty - so glad you are getting decent eggs again :)
Are you hatching geese eggs again this spring?
The young rabbits are so much fun to watch in a colony - I'm glad dividing it worked :)

I'll be passing most of the goose eggs on to Jason to put in his incubator. We're hoping to be better organized this year and get them picked up more regularly. Any that hatch and survive, I get half the value. It's a good deal for both of us. :) If Willow goes broody, I will likely give her a few eggs to hatch.

Back