Register

GROWING RABBITS REARED ON WIRE NET OR COMBINED

Post your favourite links to useful rabbit websites here.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,916.00

GROWING RABBITS REARED ON WIRE NET OR COMBINED

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 am

http://world-rabbit-science.com/WRSA-Proceedings/Congress-2008-Verona/Papers/Q-Jekkel.pdf
Based on the results it can be concluded, that pen-raised rabbits have a lower liveweight at slaughter, than rabbits reared in cages. When wire net floor is combined with straw in the pens, then the liveweight at slaughter decreases further. The advantage of the combined floor (wire net/straw) could be, that rabbits on this floor have higher hind part in the carcass and lower amount of fat in the perirenal region, which could be favourable for the slaughter houses and consumers.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,235.00

Re: GROWING RABBITS REARED ON WIRE NET OR COMBINED

Post Number:#2  Unread postby sammysue63 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 am

Very interesting read...Thank you for sharing:)

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 21,399.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Mon May 23, 2011 5:35 pm

definitely a good read-- but I have a question- and it concerns me greatly-- who puts 16 rabbits in 10 square feet of space? I had 9 in 16 square feet, and quite frankly, I am sure, if they had not gotten along, there would have been bloodshed. I realize a meat rabbit at 11 weeks weighs perhaps half of it's adult weight- but isn't the density a bit unfair?
Terry
Help keep two Medical Service Dogs in top health: gofundme.com/1yvfgk

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,340.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby hoodat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 am

My growout pens are 16 square feet and I have put 11 just weaned rabbits in there with no real crowding. At that age they make bunny piles in the corners anyway so they usually leave most of the floor empty. I don't see how they can pile up four high without the bottom ones getting squished but they don't seem to be bothered by it. I hasten to add that I use 2 foot tall growout cages so I can put in shelves where they can get out of one anothers way if they begin to feel crowded. I start butchering a few at a time at around 11 weeks (depending on growth)and that further increases the floor space per rabbit as they get bigger. I don't get any fighting till they get bigger than that but they are usually from the same litter and accustomed to one another.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------