ground rabbit meat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmitty

Reaction score
hi. does anyone grind and freeze their rabbit meat? if so how well does the meat hold up when frozen. seems to me it would be about like ground turkey but without all the crap in processed turkey. i have been butchering deer for my private use for 30+ years and love to make sausages usually mixed with pork and would like to try some with rabbit. i don't want to waste any of the delicious meat experimenting. any thoughts appriciated. thanks schmitty

We do it ..it very enjoyable. Deboneing is easy once you get the hang of it.Sausages are just as easy as with the venison. Try a 80% Rabbit 20% regular ground beef mix for burgers and meat balls too! Watch this video on how to debone your rabbit..This is the best way IMO as you use all the rabbit not just the meaty sections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ud68Qmdyc

thanks. i think i will try a few lbs. just didn't want to get the grinder dirty. didn't have any buns ready when it was deer season. i can't see grinding up the hind qtrs or loins but i think maybe the rest would be okay. the video was great. how many meals do you think he has processed?<br /><br />__________ Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am __________<br /><br />thanks for the input......

When we did it his way it took allot longer but as I said earlier you use all the rabbit his way. We were getting a little over 3 pounds of meat doing it that way. so if you did 10 rabbits that 30 pounds throw in another 5 or 6 pounds of pork or beef and you have 35 pounds of sausage or burgers. Oh and it does freeze nice. We love it that way here. Our favourite is rabbit sausage spaghetti! MMMMM suddenly I'm hungry..

Edit for spelling

schmitty":3vhmrth1 said:
thanks. i think i will try a few lbs. just didn't want to get the grinder dirty. didn't have any buns ready when it was deer season. i can't see grinding up the hind qtrs or loins but i think maybe the rest would be okay. the video was great. how many meals do you think he has processed?

__________ Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am __________

thanks for the input......

The hindquarters and loins are the meatiest parts of the rabbit, just FYI.... :mrgreen:

my thinking is if i bucher 6-8 fryers i should get about 3-4 lbs of front shoulder/leg,rib cage and belly meat. maybe throw in a few hind legs to make it 5 lbs. in the video he showed how to scrape the inside of the rib cage (pretty cool)this would be just a start to see how it works.

schmitty":dpuo5e1k said:
my thinking is if i bucher 6-8 fryers i should get about 3-4 lbs of front shoulder/leg,rib cage and belly meat. maybe throw in a few hind legs to make it 5 lbs. in the video he showed how to scrape the inside of the rib cage (pretty cool)this would be just a start to see how it works.
There is very little meat on the front leg, rib cage and belly. These are the parts I most often use for soup or stock. The bulk of the meat is the loins and the hindquarters.

rabbit meat.jpg

In this picture, the hindquarters are on top, the loin under that and the front legs are to the left. As you can see, the front legs are significantly smaller and have less meat.

oneacrefarm, have you seen the video we are refering to? There is lots of meat thats great for grinding up into sausage. Go back and review the video. He has the right idea. He wants to save the hind quarters for whatever and use the rest for grinding. Makes perfect sense to me..

tfb4me":cjh1abwd said:
oneacrefarm, have you seen the video we are refering to? There is lots of meat thats great for grinding up into sausage. Go back and review the video. He has the right idea. He wants to save the hind quarters for whatever and use the rest for grinding. Makes perfect sense to me..

Oh! :slap: I thought he just meant using rabbit for meat in general. I totally forgot we were talking about sausage making.... :whistle: Don't mind me, I have not had enough coffee! Hehehe...and I HAVE seen that video and tried it myself....make sure you have a REALLY sharp knife or you will frustrate the heck out of yourself! :lol: That guy sure makes it look easy, doesn't he? We plan on making some sausage as well, as soon as we have some fryers ready to butcher...

thanks waste not want not. i did like the idea of deboning the entire bun and maybe stuffing then rolling and roasting it. might take some practice.

schmitty":3fkipb1j said:
thanks waste not want not. i did like the idea of deboning the entire bun and maybe stuffing then rolling and roasting it. might take some practice.

I have done it twice and both times I felt like I had hands that were all thumbs! I definitely need more practice... :roll:

I'd like to try rabbit sausage too- my problem is that Tippy (steer) and the piggies are already in Freezer Camp. I know I need to mix more fatty meat with the bunnies... but I think my only safe option is to grind the rabbit, freeze, and then pull out some bunny and pork or beef sausage as needed and mix the meats together at that point.

I guess it's not much of a problem now since I don't have the equipment to do cased sausages presently, but I am hesitant to thaw the beef or pork to mix with the rabbit meat and then re-freeze. I also don't want to purchase store bought meat for the purpose, since we have our superior home grown meat already.

yeah it's never a good idea to refreeze meats in my opinion too. timing is everything isn't it. got any neighbors to trade frozen for fresh. bartering is always fun. i don't have a stuffer either but it has never been an issue. patties taste just as good.

here are the sausages we made!! yummy
408728_10151150311215371_841625370_22026543_1490614735_n.jpg

We had our first ground rabbit last night, and it was really good! I didn't add any fatty meat to it, I actually didn't have anything else in the freezer right now, other than roasts. I thawed two smallish fryers, and deboned both to grind in the small Kitchenaid grinder. It fried up very nicely with some onions, and a little olive oil. It stayed in nice crumble size. I made spaghetti, and to be honest, neither hubby or I noticed any difference in taste from the sauce we've made from beef, it was just way less greasy, which was nice! Will definitely be grinding more, though like Shannon, I am ALL thumbs! :lol:

I realize this is a very old thread. But I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to deliberately overfeed a litter once in a while in order to put some fat on them and make them into sausage. Plus, since the process of sausage making so thoroughly minces the meat, perhaps they could be grown a bit larger than is normally done for rabbit meat. The fine mincing would cancel out any toughness that is normally associated with older buns.

Stephanie":2bqigbx0 said:
I realize this is a very old thread. But I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to deliberately overfeed a litter once in a while in order to put some fat on them and make them into sausage. Plus, since the process of sausage making so thoroughly minces the meat, perhaps they could be grown a bit larger than is normally done for rabbit meat. The fine mincing would cancel out any toughness that is normally associated with older buns.
You can try it. :)

Rabbit fat tends to start going rancid very quickly -- even as little as a couple of hours.

A number of RT members report not caring for rabbit fat.

Rabbit fat is softer than pork or beef fat, and may not work well for sausage.

You may not be able to get enough fat on the buns to give you the right ratio for sausage.

But you can give it a shot and see if it works for you.

fuzzy9":gyh58mgc said:
We had our first ground rabbit last night, and it was really good! I didn't add any fatty meat to it, I actually didn't have anything else in the freezer right now, other than roasts. I thawed two smallish fryers, and deboned both to grind in the small Kitchenaid grinder. It fried up very nicely with some onions, and a little olive oil. It stayed in nice crumble size. I made spaghetti, and to be honest, neither hubby or I noticed any difference in taste from the sauce we've made from beef, it was just way less greasy, which was nice! Will definitely be grinding more, though like Shannon, I am ALL thumbs! :lol:

This may be a stupid question but I gotta ask. Do you grind every bit of the rabbit except for the bones? In other words, I generally only use the quarters and the back for cooking. Even then, I'm very picky in boiling and picking the meat away from the bones and getting all of the fat and little tendons and veins out of the meat before canning. It takes a long time and probably doesn't really matter but my wife doesn't like anything in her rabbit dishes that isn't pure white rabbit meat. I'm always a bit saddened that I "waste" the ribs, belly and neck (of course, not much meat in the neck). It's not really wasted though, my cats anxiously await those parts along with the kindneys and heart. I guess I have always considered the belly more like "flab" rather than meat and I never knew it was so easy to get the ribs out (as shown on the vid).
So basically, if you had the deboned rabbit as shown at the end of the video, you would just chop it up to sizes that your grinder would handle, and put the whole thing right on through??? That certainly would save me time and increase my yield. Thanks!

Rabbitdog":rsoz0cdf said:
This may be a stupid question but I gotta ask. Do you grind every bit of the rabbit except for the bones? In other words, I generally only use the quarters and the back for cooking. Even then, I'm very picky in boiling and picking the meat away from the bones and getting all of the fat and little tendons and veins out of the meat before canning. It takes a long time and probably doesn't really matter but my wife doesn't like anything in her rabbit dishes that isn't pure white rabbit meat. I'm always a bit saddened that I "waste" the ribs, belly and neck (of course, not much meat in the neck). It's not really wasted though, my cats anxiously await those parts along with the kindneys and heart. I guess I have always considered the belly more like "flab" rather than meat and I never knew it was so easy to get the ribs out (as shown on the vid).
So basically, if you had the deboned rabbit as shown at the end of the video, you would just chop it up to sizes that your grinder would handle, and put the whole thing right on through??? That certainly would save me time and increase my yield. Thanks!

I may be doing it differently than some but I don't de bone the meat. I skin and gut the rabbit then put the remains in a pot, boil until the meat falls off and put it in the grinder.

This gives me more meat than I would get from boning and is easier for me. Plus when it comes to cooking I still have the freedom to season my meat however I want.

This is just for grinding the meat for hamburger or something. I haven't a clue about sausage.

Back