grooming questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
for Grooming fur type rabbits (instead of fiber) what do I use as a brush to bring up the coat to it's potential? All these Beverens and Americans are currently getting rid of the last year's coat, and they're not terribly attractive just now. I tried a soft flicker type, but it seemed to distress the rabbit (a Sr. doe) that I tried it on, so I"m thinking maybe a soft hairtype brush? fiber brush? Or is she just foolin' with me?

And should they be getting a daily brushing or will that make them worse? (with horses, it brings up the oils in the coat and creates a shine)

Another questions...How do you wash a rabbit? The white jr. was sprayed by a buck and has yellowing in her coat. Any way to remove that? Or should I throw her in the wash with a cup of bleach? ;)

I groom my rabbits [Satins] with a slicker brush
gently to remove much of the loose fur/hairs.
I then brush with a normal man's hair brush [or Hare Brush]
this will bring out the sheen/shine. The rabbits \seem to enjoy the brushing.
To clean a White rabbits fur I use a 50/50 mix of White Vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
First dampen the area to to be cleaned then rub corn starch into the problem area
it should be the consistence of toothpaste. Allow to dry then brush out.
This will even take out Tattoo Ink. You may have to repeat the treatment for stubborn stains.
It will work! I hope this is of some assistance.
Dennis, C.V.R. :D

slicker brush here too - rarely have time to groom non coated bunnies :(

Awesome. I'll give the vinegar/water and cornstarch a try. She's sort of covered in yellow spots, poor thing. Nice doe, tho. geez. Actually quite sweet.

I used a slicker on the big black doe, and while she didn't appreciate it all that much, she stood for it on her lower body (where there was a ton of loose hair). I'll pick up a Hare Brush today when I go shopping. I figure if they get a daily brushing, it will get them used to being handled (and will give me a REASON to go pick them up and lug them to the table :) )

I think that is a great idea--I am awful about really handling my rabbits until they really need something done. Just switching to a weed based diet from pure pellets has already helped so much--now they run forward to see what I have and even lean out of the cage when I open the door. They tolerate a few pets, but they still do NOT enjoy being picked up.

Mine don't like much handling either. Alice could use some grooming but she wouldn't like it from me. Alice likes David to pet her, but is on again-off again with me and right now it is definitely OFF. Jasper is a big suck and loves nose rubs and ear waggles. The others, last summer's youngsters, are friendly as long as I keep my hands to myself. I talk to them a lot while feeding and watering them and they seem to like that. I let the rabbit decide how much attention they want. They're livestock, valued and appreciated, but they are not pets.

Latest posts

Back