Grooming and Hygiene Routine?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once a month, get all the buns out one at a time and clip their nails, brush their fur, and check their scent glands.
I don't really have a schedule for checking ears and feet, I just kinda do that whenever :D

Edit: Lol, I forgot to post about the hygiene thing xD

Water is changed every 2 days (depending how low/full it is), litter boxes are emptied and cleaned every day, cages are sweeped out every day, and the kit cage gets cleaned 3 times a day. New hay gets replaced in the litter boxes, they all get a scoop of food each morning, and occasionally get vegetables.
All of my grown rabbits are litter trained so the cages don't get pee stains, as I have solid floors, not mesh or wire :)

Rabbitry is visited twice daily to check feed, water, visually observe animals, and remove any soiled bedding.

All adult animals and willing kits get a daily "ruffle" (kind of a petting rub) on the back to keep track of everyone's condition, and provide affection. :)

I trim nails as needed, at least monthly. I look over the feet and teeth while I have them upside down for their nails. Then I check ears. (I check ears sporadically as well) Grooming occurs as needed. The woolies get more attention then the others, naturally. The harlequins rarely need more than a rub down with moist hands to help remove shed fur.
I've never had to mess with scent glands, they seem to be pretty good on their own.

Every few months(2-4 times a year) I dust everyone with diatomaceous earth.

And, since living space is an important part of health/hygiene:

Cages are kept very clean to minimize cocci exposure, brushed out as often as daily if necessary.
Trays are emptied every 2-3 days, unless the rabbitry is very full. When there are a lot of kits, trays are emptied daily.

Trays also get washed (hosed out) at least once a month.

Zass":2k4xdtz9 said:
Rabbitry is visited twice daily to check feed, water, visually observe animals, and remove any soiled bedding.

All adult animals and willing kits get a daily "ruffle" (kind of a petting rub) on the back to keep track of everyone's condition, and provide affection. :)

I trim nails as needed, at least monthly. I look over the feet and teeth while I have them upside down for their nails. Then I check ears. (I check ears sporadically as well) Grooming occurs as needed. The woolies get more attention then the others, naturally. The harlequins rarely need more than a rub down with moist hands to help remove shed fur.
I've never had to mess with scent glands, they seem to be pretty good on their own.

Every few months(2-4 times a year) I dust everyone with diatomaceous earth.

And, since living space is an important part of health/hygiene:

Cages are kept very clean to minimize cocci exposure, brushed out as often as daily if necessary.
Trays are emptied every 2-3 days, unless the rabbitry is very full. When there are a lot of kits, trays are emptied daily.

Trays also get washed (hosed out) at least once a month.

Whats the "dirt" (As i hear it is called) for? External parasites?

How do you dust in on Zass? Sprinkle it on top or do you have some sort of shaker? We use it around and in their cages, but I would like to start using it on the as well. Works for fleas right? They haven't had fleas that I have seen, but it's really bad in springtime here so id love to get a preventative routine going.....

Back