Green and Yellow Beans

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marian

Reaction score
The beans are done! I get so excited when the first beans come in but by the time they are done, I'm so fed up with them. The plants themselves have been pulled up and are drying, I'll feed them to the rabbits during the winter. I have frozen most of the beans, except, of course, the ones we eat fresh at any opportunity and today I made my Basil Garlic Picked Green Beans. That always marks the end of the beans. Whoot.

The end of the season for any one vegetable is always kind of bittersweet for me. I'm glad to have back the time spent picking and processing, but I love the feeling of wealth that the garden gives me.

Our beans are still doing well, having made a comeback after our nasty dry spell, but the tomatoes are nearly finished. :( Usually I plant heritage indeterminate varieties but Brian's burst appendix this spring kind of threw everything off schedule and I just didn't get it done. So we had to buy all our plants and could only get Romas and something called Lunchbox. Tasty enough... but they all ripen over a few weeks instead of hanging in there until frost. I miss the Black Brandywines and the Red and Yellow Pear tomatoes in particular.

I've never had such a poor year for the squashes. I'm not even getting enough zucchini! Just when I wanted a bumper crop to dry for zucchini chips. :( But you never get a year where everything does well. :shrug:

good for the beans! Hubby and I were just talking about how much food we need on hand (we're wanting to be s self sustaining as possible) and I commented that this year, if we were relying heavily on the garden and canning for food, we would be hungry before spring, since the growing season did so poorly. 2 zuchinis, about 5 cherry tomatoes. A good spackling of strawberries. everything else died.

Back