Gravity-Fed Crocks Now available in Designer Colors!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Since I don't have an automatic waterline set up for my growout cages, and I'm too busy to fill crocks all day, I came up with this system to provide water to the bunrabs. Both Hubs and I love cobalt blue, so I have been saving these bottles in the hopes of finding a bottle cutter that actually works so I can do something "crafty" with them. But convenience and utility trumped creativity once again... at least the bunny cages are benefiting from the cobalt blue motif!

IMG_7068.JPG

Edit: Make sure to save the caps or you will lose a lot of water when you invert the bottle into the crock. I kept the cap on and unscrewed it once it was in place.

2nd Edit: It is not easy to see in the photo, but the mouth of the bottle is raised off the floor of the crock by more than an inch- the height of the opening determines the water level. If it were sitting on the bottom (but not forming an air-tight seal), only enough water would leak out to cover the rim of the bottle.

Awesome, but is that tiny crock wired down?
I had a similar idea when I have to make more cages for my new rabbits.

As for cutting glass, lots of UTube videos teach you, but I'd practice on clear ones first.

Thanks, Maggie!

No, the crock isn't wired down, but the neck of the bottle and the cage wire behind it keep it from moving much, and it can't be tipped or pulled away... trust me, little Greystone tried to move it already!

Ok...now this is just downright freaky....I LOVE cobalt blue glass!!!! It is my absolute favorite!

<Twilight Zone Theme Song>

Err... when I posted I had the eerie feeling that might be the case... :shock: It just keeps getting weirder, doesn't it, Sistah?

MamaSheepdog":2x3y14kl said:
<Twilight Zone Theme Song>

Err... when I posted I had the eerie feeling that might be the case... :shock: It just keeps getting weirder, doesn't it, Sistah?

Weird in a good way... :D

That's pretty neat! What a beautiful color..........lucky rabbits!!

What a great idea. No more stuck ball valves to drip all over and no more stuck lixits that don't give out water; also a great way to recycle wine bottles.

Thanks, hoodat! These are actually 1.75 liter SKYY Vodka bottles- in the growout cages I have to refill them daily, but wine bottles would be great for just a couple of rabbits. I was also thinking soda bottles would work if you wrapped them in hardware cloth to prevent chewing.

That is quite creative! Now, I have a question or two for you:

1. how difficult is it to get the bottle in and out of the holders/chains?
2. how do you get the cap off once it is set without spilling half the water?

It is kind of a pain to get the bottle in the holder- you need to slip the bottle through the top chain first, and I have it pretty tight. Once the top chain is around the bottle, I push the bottle up so it is slightly above the loop of lower chain, and then push the bottle back down through the loop.

Make sure you don't have the cap of the bottle on very tight so it is easy to unscrew. The water will gush out and may splash a little, but once the water level rises to the mouth of the bottle the flow stops. When the rabbits drink enough to create an air gap, the water will flow out again until the water forms a "seal" around the mouth of the bottle which causes the flow to stop immediately.

You could also use wire as a holder- it might be easier because it will hold its shape in a loop. I used chain that I had leftover from hanging my cages since I had it, and if I ever need it for something else I can just reattach the links.

The springs with snap ends such as come with many drip type water bottles would probably work best. Does anyone have a source for those springs? I don't see them sold seperately in any of the rabbit supply company catalogues.

Back