Register

**graphic pics** Bears are a Rabbit Breeders worst nightmare

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,637.00

**graphic pics** Bears are a Rabbit Breeders worst nightmare

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Deer Heart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:42 pm

They will not only kill every last rabbit, but they will destroy your cages along with them.

I had quarantine cages stacked on the other side of my house with just 3 rabbits still on quarantine (2 were for sale and being taken to farm swaps, 1 was due to ear mites) in the top row.

Last night dogs were barking at the fence and when I went out I didn't see or hear anything and didn't think anything of it... quiet the rest of the night... went to check on rabbits today (I don't feed until evening and just wanted to spend time with everyone)

I found a bloodbath...

bear1.jpg
mess in detail
bear1.jpg (537.13 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

bear2.jpg
poor buck
bear2.jpg (358.17 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

bear3.jpg
Aftermath
bear3.jpg (430.58 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

The NZW Buck was crushed to death as the bear clearly chewed the wire and bloodied his face trying to get to him.
The Jersey Wooly was pinned under the wire and pulled through though her head got caught, she was decapitated and her body dragged some feet (likely dropped when the dogs started barking).
No sign of the minirex... :(

Cage is left completely unusable, bent like a hot dog bun.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,500.00

Re: **graphic pics** Bears are a Rabbit Breeders worst night

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Phacelia » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Wow. Just, wow. :( I am so, so sorry. What a horrific thing to find.

I've wondered how often black bear attacks happen in regards to rabbits (we don't have them in our area yet).
Trying our hand at sustainable living with egg chickens, meat rabbits, herbs & veggies - and lots more to come!

Follow along at http://www.bluetoothhollow.blogspot.com and http://www.facebook.com/bluetoothhollowrabbitry

Handmade sculpture:

Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrimordiaIMpressions?ref=hdr_shop_menu and https://www.facebook.com/hollyscreationsinclay

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Deer Heart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Phacelia wrote:Wow. Just, wow. :( I am so, so sorry. What a horrific thing to find.

I've wondered how often black bear attacks happen in regards to rabbits (we don't have them in our area yet).

Very often, in Florida at least. This move can't happen soon enough (I'm moving to a city slightly more south where black bear are significantly both more rare and unlikely to cross a major highway to get to the neighborhood). The bear clearly went around my house to go for my entire stock at some point (that is where the dogs began barking so I didn't even think to check on these guys).

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:03 pm

I am so sorry, Sali! :cry:
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Deer Heart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:49 pm

The worst part is, they WILL be back tomorrow and there's nothing I can do about it. You can't even legally shoot them if they're attacking your pets.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 4,310.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Wow, that's bad.

Nothing? Not even scare them away? Non-lethal shotgun rounds, or pepper paintballs come to mind, but there sure is a lot of first-hand experience where this problem exists.

Here, our environemtalists are spending millions of tax money to bring back the (brown) bears, which had no place here 100 years ago when there actually were unpopulatet areas...

That makes my fox problem peanuts, and it's better not to ask if my interpretation of "legal" for what I'm doing about that is the kind of "legal" judges prefer...
Last edited by Preitler on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Deer Heart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:09 pm

You can't harass them, you can only defend yourself/another human. A fellow was even arrested here for killing one that attacked his dog (and broke the dogs back, killing it)

Basically, you complain to FWC and they send you a packet titled "How to Live with Bears". (They tell you to bang a pot and pan together to spook um which doesn't do anything once they think they've found food).

Thankfully there's a planned hunt of them coming up BECAUSE they've gotten this bad but it's going to be extremely and highly regulated and limited to specific areas. I'm just glad I'm moving soon as I've put up with this crap for 6 years.

BunnyBucks: 5,248.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Have you talked to your conservation agent yet?

A friend of ours, a conservation agent, has told us some horror stories about black bears. :x But if they become a bother then all we need to do is call her or another agent up and they'll come out with dogs and special guns to chase them off or set a trap if their a huge problem.

There are steps you can take. Your not completely alone.

Best of luck,
Cathy

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 470.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby dfr1973 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 pm

I feel your pain, Sali! I live next to state land, and one particular bear has been showing her cubs my neighbor's livestock. She and her cub hit us last winter, and we sprang for electric right after that. She and her cub only got 11 chicks, but the mess plus the screams as they attacked were bad enough we do not want a repeat.

For those wondering, black bears are completely protected here in Florida. My neighbor has called FWC several times over the years, and is always told how he should not be attracting the bears. No, I am not kidding - FWC says if you keep livestock then it's your fault the bears attack and eat it! My neighbors and I both share a property line with state-owned land where the bears reside.

Sali, if it makes you feel any better, this past October for the two-day hunt, the central BMU was slated for 100 killed, and instead had 135 in the mandatory two days. (I just wish it had been 136 ...) I know one other BMU went over by about as much, so perhaps FWC may start to get the idea the bear population has recovered and then some.

For noise, smoke, flash, and bang a black powder pistol works best to convince the bear to vacate the premises.
Feed to breed!

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Marinea » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:34 pm

How awful. So sorry this happened.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Wow that is terrible. I'm so sorry.

United States of America

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Deer Heart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Cathy, I know several FWC agents personally, we deal with them almost daily at my work. They wont and can't do anything about it until they attack a human. About all they'll tell me (on the DL) is to just hope the bears don't find me/my animals. No cage will stop um and no fence will stop um (except an extremely powerful electric fence that they are trained to BEFORE they find food on the other side). Dogs are a deterrent... until they decide they aren't and will try to eat your dogs too. I had them completely flatten an entire chicken run and crush the birds inside in the past. They will come back for days after an attack like this looking for more. Last time I had to store the surviving chickens in my bathroom for a week. I can't do that this time, my house is being shown tomorrow. :T

Shooting them isn't even an oh you fudged sort of crime, it's a federal prison crime, not a law to be messed with. Also, as dfr1973 said the attitude is very much victim blaming on that one. All of my feed containers are sealed thoroughly and I never ever store garbage outside. It all gets loaded right in my car and taken to the dump that day. The bears are after my animals, which I refuse to stop keeping. Last year I was fine because I had an LGD but due to my whiny uncle, I rehomed them several months ago. Now I just have aussies where I can't tell if they're bored barking or really barking at something.
Last edited by Deer Heart on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Oh Sali, I am so sorry! :cry:

We have bears here as well, and I know that if one ever got to the yard where I keep our small livestock it would think it hit a smorgasbord. We did have one go through our property on two occasions last year but the dogs scared it off before it made it to the livestock yard.

Our neighbors down the way lost a goat kid and a sheep to bears, but at least here it is legal to shoot them once they start preying on livestock... they shot two.

The neighbor that lives adjacent to them has miniature donkeys, so was worried that they would be next on the menu. He partially filled gallon jugs with ammonia and hung them at intervals along his fenceline to deter them. Supposedly it smells like very strong urine to the bears and they think something bigger and badder than they are calls that territory home.

He never had any problems with the bears, despite the fact that they hit the property next door several times, so it is certainly worth a try.

Hoping for the best for you. :clover:
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Ms. E » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:54 pm

A can of ether or starter fluid wrapped with bacon will make a bear change his mind about visiting you. :twisted:

Bears are a problem here, too, but at least we can shoot them if they are damaging our property or livestock. We just have to notify the game warden within 48 hours.

The following user would like to thank Ms. E for this post
the reluctant farmer

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,983.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Sali, I am so sorry. My sister had a bear break into her barn years ago and start slaughtering calves. It was a nightmare. It did come back, but in their state the game wardens were allowed to shoot if it did. Might be time to borrow a pit bull until you move...

Next