Got any GREAT liver recipes???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
I've been dressing out a lot of rabbits lately...and I have a bag o' livers to eat!!! My best pal LOVES liver, we want to cook these so they'll be awesome...and I have no idea how. :lol: Suggestions?

Do rabbit livers tate more like chicken liver or beef liver?

I have really only had my liver three ways.

Chicken liver is breaded and fried. Beef liver is sauted with onions, served with rice and beans. Or pate, which I love.

Now I'm hungry.

I don't know...I've only ever tossed rabbit liver in the grinder for stuff like spaghetti. :(

Still have NO idea how to cook these livers...and we're having liver tomorrow or Tuesday, so...time's running out. :lol: I may have to just wing it. :x

Kyle, just slice and saute in butter with a little salt and pepper. Cook until just done... Do not overcook. Serve with some heritage tomatoes :) or a salad and some very nice homemade bread or rolls. Easy and totally delicious. :dinner:

MaggieJ":120tvutp said:
Kyle, just slice and saute in butter with a little salt and pepper. Cook until just done... Do not overcook. Serve with some heritage tomatoes :) or a salad and some very nice homemade bread or rolls. Easy and totally delicious. :dinner:

Really? That's a LOT less labor intensive than my venison recipe. :D Thanks!!

That's what I always do... and we always really enjoy it. Venison liver would be different, as is beef or pork liver. Rabbit liver is very delicate and tender and the flavour is much nicer than chicken or turkey liver. I call it the liver-hater's liver. :)

You could also make a pate of it... but that is more work and I don't have a good recipe for it.

MaggieJ":3ssdakdi said:
That's what I always do... and we always really enjoy it. Venison liver would be different, as is beef or pork liver. Rabbit liver is very delicate and tender and the flavour is much nicer than chicken or turkey liver. I call it the liver-hater's liver. :)

You could also make a pate of it... but that is more work and I don't have a good recipe for it.

I'm not big on pate, something about the texture. :p My dad and I are making BBQ pulled rabbit tonight (and a little tribute to Boss, who's providing our dinner) but I think my friend and I are aiming for tomorrow night for the liver. :mrgreen: Unless her boss suddenly makes her work a late shift or something. :(

I'll let you know how it turns out! :D<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 pm __________<br /><br />Well, I cooked the liver the way you said, in butter and saute'd...it was HEAVENLY...sadly I was so sick that day I ate three bites and had to stop or I'd get sick. :cry:

However, my friend was HAPPY to eat the rest of my share. After she ate her share. And then she ate the leftovers. Basically she ate ALL THE LIVERS.

And declared it the best thing she ever ate. :D

All in all..........a success!!!!!!!

I love them sauted like that too. Chopped liver is also amazing. Saute or boil a few livers, hard boil an egg, and saute some onions. Blend them all together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Its amazing on sandwiches!

The addition of a hard boiled egg intrigues me!

I wonder if I couldn't saute and chop the liver, then mix it with hash browns and put a fried egg or two on it for a breakfast...maybe a low-fat alternative to my beloved corned beef hash...

That sounds delicious! The chopped liver with hard boiled egg is a recipe passed down from my jewish grandmother. There are lots of variations, adding garlic or lemon juice and so on, but its one of those recipes that remind me of my childhood and that it always seems a grandmother makes best :D

Why were you so sick?

That's a total bummer. Butchering so many guineas and having to cut up week old beef livers that STUNK to high heaven for kitten food (they weren't bad, they had been frozen for awhile) makes me want to gag just thinking about them, BUT this thread is making livers sounds... quite tasty.

I can't stand it when you REALLY want to eat stuff but you're too pukey to eat anymore... happens to me more often than not.

Well, I'd imagine you are gonna have more livers at some point!

They ARE also great breaded and fried, with a little salt and sage in the bread crumbs (or use commercial "herb dressing" breadcrumbs) - but my FAVORITE is bacon wrapped and fried until the bacon is crisp. Hope you are not sick the next time you have a batch!

DarayTala":uldih7ie said:
That sounds delicious! The chopped liver with hard boiled egg is a recipe passed down from my jewish grandmother. There are lots of variations, adding garlic or lemon juice and so on, but its one of those recipes that remind me of my childhood and that it always seems a grandmother makes best :D

I did dust the saute'd liver with garlic salt. :D I loooove garlic.

OwnedByTheBuns":uldih7ie said:
Why were you so sick?

That's a total bummer. Butchering so many guineas and having to cut up week old beef livers that STUNK to high heaven for kitten food (they weren't bad, they had been frozen for awhile) makes me want to gag just thinking about them, BUT this thread is making livers sounds... quite tasty.

I can't stand it when you REALLY want to eat stuff but you're too pukey to eat anymore... happens to me more often than not.

Well, I'd imagine you are gonna have more livers at some point!

I have a digestive problem and it flared up that day really badly...I couldn't choke down breakfast, I couldn't touch lunch, and by dinner I was just sick as a dog. :( Wasn't too good today, either...couldn't handle breakfast, refused lunch...my dad was worrying, I hadn't eaten anything except three bites of liver since the day before's breakfast of just toast, so he went out of his way to get me a favorite snack: ice-cold apples. I didn't even want to look at them.

My intestines are still paining me (it isn't just nausea but pain as well) but I managed some dinner tonight. Starting to feel hungry again which is a good sign...I might get a snack with my before-bed tea. :)

dragonladyleanne":uldih7ie said:
They ARE also great breaded and fried, with a little salt and sage in the bread crumbs (or use commercial "herb dressing" breadcrumbs) - but my FAVORITE is bacon wrapped and fried until the bacon is crisp. Hope you are not sick the next time you have a batch!

OMG BACON IS MY FAVORITE THING EVER. Seriously. I love...LOVE bacon.

Bacon wrapped liver would be AMAZING. :eek:

Kyle, try chewing mint. Dried or fresh, doesn't matter. Just do it. Either that or make mint with w/ honey. Helps tremendously. Either tha or doesn't hurt. ;) Since I have nasuea and stomach pain 4 out of 7 days in the week, I have tried this. I keep mint leaves by my bed for emergencies. ;)

Try it. :)

OwnedByTheBuns":2zki3y23 said:
Kyle, try chewing mint. Dried or fresh, doesn't matter. Just do it. Either that or make mint with w/ honey. Helps tremendously. Either tha or doesn't hurt. ;) Since I have nasuea and stomach pain 4 out of 7 days in the week, I have tried this. I keep mint leaves by my bed for emergencies. ;)

Try it. :)

Thanks but I doubt it will help. ;) My intestines hurt because they're tearing and sloughing off their lining. It's a painful, bloody nightmare that wrenches my guts and the pain makes me nauseous. :p My doctor and gastroenterologist strongly suspect Crohns but I ran out of money before I could pursue more testing (ruled out a lot though, including worms. YES, I GOT TESTED FOR WORMS. They want to rule out EVERYTHING.) and my medical benefits JUUUUUST kicked back in so I haven't re-started more testing yet. Plus I'm admittedly dragging my feet because the next step is a tad invasive (A LOT) and involves a lot of sedation, and that's just all sorts of unpleasant. :p

My uncle has Crohns... he has to drink something special everyday I think... I never did pay much attention...

You are correct, I suppose that wouldn't help. ;)

I would rather have suregery than deal with it fo sho. :) If I was able to pay for it, lol

Well, I wish you luck. Sheesh, thank goodness I *only* have anxiety. My neighbors, when I told them I have really bad anxiety, told me, "What?! You're SO laid back, you don't have anxiety!". Heck, they should know, I saw them on and off for two whole weeks between feeding and grroming their cat, baking stuff for them, and gifting them homemade thinge because his Mom was dying of Lung Cancer... Sad time... but anyway, they should know!

That's also a bummer though. Shouldn't you do something VERY quickly if they are just tearing off of their lining? It seems like it would be so much more urgent than it is. Yikes.

I would rather have suregery than deal with it fo sho. :) If I was able to pay for it, lol

LOL no, the procedure would be for testing, not to resolve it. They've ruled out anything that can be treated, all the options I'm left with are just symptom management. :(

That's also a bummer though. Shouldn't you do something VERY quickly if they are just tearing off of their lining? It seems like it would be so much more urgent than it is. Yikes.

You'd be amazed what the body gets used to. :| It's just the way things are. I've had to deal with this for over fifteen years now. Sometimes when it's really bad, the pain puts me off of food for a couple days, and some days I bleed a lot and get dizzy and lightheaded. Sometimes it saps my energy. But mostly it's just a dull ache, and I've learned to largely ignore it. I notice it far more when I have a GOOD and pain-free day, actually, because that's just weird!!! :lol:

Besides, as said, it's with me for life...so while I'd like a diagnosis so they can possibly help medicate/manage the symptoms, I'm in no rush. To be honest I abuse my body, food-wise...I don't always avoid foods that aggravate my problems. It's a running joke with a friend of mine...we have conversations like this:

Her: "Kyle? Aren't those spicy tacos?"
Me: "Yep, they sure are!!! I LOVE TACOS!!!"
Her: "...don't they make your life suck really bad within minutes of entering your intestines?"
Me: "Yep! And that's future-Kyle's problem!"

And then I eat the spicy tacos. Because the joy of TACOS outweighs the knowledge that I'll pay for my love of Tex-Mex later. :p Same with anything greasy, anything too heavily produce-oriented (tried a near vegetarian diet once, nearly died), things that are loaded with complex carbs (PASTA. I LOVE IT. IT IS MY ENEMY.) and sometimes certain things set me off.

SO, I could be a lot more conscientious about my guts but most days I just don't care any more. :lol: Limiting myself to foods that are bland, low in fat and easily digestible is boring. Bring on the BBQ sauce, for the love of gods! :lol: Besides, sometimes my insides mutiny for no apparent reason...and that's REALLY frustrating. Suffering for my edible sins is one thing, getting randomly sick for no reason is both painful and annoying-- I didn't even EARN that! :lol:

I am trying to pull the ol' switcheroo though on some of my favorite foods I just can't eat any more...BBQ pulled rabbit replaces BBQ pulled pork, for example; I struggle with greasy pork. Venison in pasta sauce means I suffer only from the pasta, not the double-whammy of greasy beef-and-pork meats mixed in. I no longer butter steamed or cooked veggies, as too much butter tends to really aggravate me...and these days I just don't miss it, LOL.

Well, I wish you luck. Sheesh, thank goodness I *only* have anxiety. My neighbors, when I told them I have really bad anxiety, told me, "What?! You're SO laid back, you don't have anxiety!". Heck, they should know, I saw them on and off for two whole weeks between feeding and grroming their cat, baking stuff for them, and gifting them homemade thinge because his Mom was dying of Lung Cancer... Sad time... but anyway, they should know!

Anxiety problems and digestive issues are fairly directly related. When my anxiety disorder acts up, I'm a lot more sensitive to the stuff that aggravates me. Part of it is the way the body copes with anxiety on a cellular and chemical level; anxiety is the realm of the sympathetic nervous system, and that tends to slow down and mess up digestion, which can cause all sorts of problems in the stomach and intestines, not to mention some of the accessory organs of the digestive system.

LOL, those people need a reality check. I'm a pretty laid-back fellow...who has near-crippling anxiety. :roll: I hate the stereotype that anxiety-sufferers are all "nervous nellies" who always ultra-high-strung; the stereotype is very outdated and one-dimensional. :(

LOL no, the procedure would be for testing, not to resolve it. They've ruled out anything that can be treated, all the options I'm left with are just symptom management. :(

Well then... not quite what I was thinking. LOL

You'd be amazed what the body gets used to. :| It's just the way things are. I've had to deal with this for over fifteen years now. Sometimes when it's really bad, the pain puts me off of food for a couple days, and some days I bleed a lot and get dizzy and lightheaded. Sometimes it saps my energy. But mostly it's just a dull ache, and I've learned to largely ignore it. I notice it far more when I have a GOOD and pain-free day, actually, because that's just weird!!! :lol:

Uhhh... you bleed a lot? Is this as awkward as I am thinking it is? :lol:

Her: "Kyle? Aren't those spicy tacos?"
Me: "Yep, they sure are!!! I LOVE TACOS!!!"
Her: "...don't they make your life suck really bad within minutes of entering your intestines?"
Me: "Yep! And that's future-Kyle's problem!"

Oh my... I giggled when I read this! That's hilarious... Tacos also mess me up, same as pizza, milk, and anything with geletin (can't spell, sorry) in it. Bad stomach pain or nausea *almost* everytime. But HECK if I care! In fact I just ate some geletin and drank milk today... because it doesn't really matter.

Same with anything greasy,

Yeah, greasy is a no-no for me. I feel like I'll puke shorty after digesting that stuff.

Anxiety problems and digestive issues are fairly directly related. When my anxiety disorder acts up, I'm a lot more sensitive to the stuff that aggravates me. Part of it is the way the body copes with anxiety on a cellular and chemical level; anxiety is the realm of the sympathetic nervous system, and that tends to slow down and mess up digestion, which can cause all sorts of problems in the stomach and intestines, not to mention some of the accessory organs of the digestive system.

You know what... I'm still second guessing the whole ONLY anxiety thing... I have had anxiety since I knew hot to think, LOL, and also have had stomach problems since then. There are month long periods where every morning I wake up with horrible pain in my intestines for no reason. I KNOW some of it is linked to anxiety, not so sure about all of it. I also have OCD so that doesn't help ANYTHING. I have gotten the OCD thing to where it only happens if I am leaving home or something big is coming up. Well. Usually. Unless it is like yesterday where... well... I won't say it and sound insane.

LOL, those people need a reality check. I'm a pretty laid-back fellow...who has near-crippling anxiety. :roll: I hate the stereotype that anxiety-sufferers are all "nervous nellies" who always ultra-high-strung; the stereotype is very outdated and one-dimensional. :(

I never thought I had Anxiety until I really realized what it was.. and the truth is, I'm NOT laid back! AT ALL! I'm crazy, insane, high strung, however you want to put it, I'm so crazy! But, I started thinking, I am very, very reserved and laid back around them. For some odd reason. When people say I am so thoughtful, polite, and peaceful, I just want to say, "You should hang out with me at home. ". :p :mrgreen:

Uhhh... you bleed a lot? Is this as awkward as I am thinking it is? :lol:

Like most human beings I have fabulous voluntary and involuntary muscle control, thanks. :roll: Also remember, I'm bleeding in my intestines...and depending on where, the blood is "digested" right along with whatever else is in there. It isn't always liquid blood by the time it sees the light of day, for lack of a more delicate, polite way of putting it. ;)

Oh my... I giggled when I read this! That's hilarious... Tacos also mess me up, same as pizza, milk, and anything with geletin (can't spell, sorry) in it. Bad stomach pain or nausea *almost* everytime. But HECK if I care! In fact I just ate some geletin and drank milk today... because it doesn't really matter.

If milk bothers you, you may have lactose intolerance. Basically the body lacks the enzymes to digest it. Try taking a "lactaid" tablet next time you eat or drink dairy...it doesn't ALWAYS help me (I'm not actually lactose intolerant) but sometimes it DOES keep it from screwing up my digestion.

The chewable "vanilla" flavored ones are also easy to take on the road, too. :)

You know what... I'm still second guessing the whole ONLY anxiety thing... I have had anxiety since I knew hot to think, LOL, and also have had stomach problems since then. There are month long periods where every morning I wake up with horrible pain in my intestines for no reason. I KNOW some of it is linked to anxiety, not so sure about all of it. I also have OCD so that doesn't help ANYTHING. I have gotten the OCD thing to where it only happens if I am leaving home or something big is coming up. Well. Usually. Unless it is like yesterday where... well... I won't say it and sound insane.

There was some concern that my gut issues were entirely anxiety-induced...until they discovered the bleeding and lining-sloughing. That changed their opinions. :(

But yes, bad gut problems CAN be entirely anxiety induced. I think you'd benefit a lot from Dialectical Behavior Theory. :)

Like most human beings I have fabulous voluntary and involuntary muscle control, thanks. :roll: Also remember, I'm bleeding in my intestines...and depending on where, the blood is "digested" right along with whatever else is in there. It isn't always liquid blood by the time it sees the light of day, for lack of a more delicate, polite way of putting it. ;)

LOL, okay, I get it. :)

If milk bothers you, you may have lactose intolerance. Basically the body lacks the enzymes to digest it. Try taking a "lactaid" tablet next time you eat or drink dairy...it doesn't ALWAYS help me (I'm not actually lactose intolerant) but sometimes it DOES keep it from screwing up my digestion.

Yeah, it actually runs in the family, although no doctor has ever even mentioned it. I got tested for thyroid problems and everything, but no one EVER mentioned lactose intolerance.

There was some concern that my gut issues were entirely anxiety-induced...until they discovered the bleeding and lining-sloughing. That changed their opinions. :(

Yeah, in your situation I would hope it was anxiety induced!

Latest posts

Back