Good breed for rabbit hopping?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trahana

Reaction score
For those who don't know, rabbit hopping with when you train your rabbit to jump over obstacles. Its like show jumping for horse but in a straight line.
I really want a trainable rabbit that is motivated to move, and likes food. I had a rabbit before, but was a pillow rabbit(white, and slept a lot), and totally unmotivated.
I was thinking Tans because of their body type, but I only have experience in the meat mutt that I had as a pet before so I'm unsure. What rabbit breed do you think would be good for training to jump?

Tbh, I always thought English Spots would make good hopping rabbits. They've got the best, goofiest personalities, always inquisitive and busy.

I leash trained a couple of mine fairly well, without much difficulty, though I'm not sure how helpful that is.

I've never done it, but I've been considering it. I have Chocolate Dutch doe who will hop over obstacles she could just as well go around. And she will spend a full 5 minutes hopping over something just to turn around and hop back over it. Her mother however, I don't think I could get her to hop over something if my life depended on it! :lol:

All rabbits I had in multilevel cages would jump up to the upper levels without problem. Don't know if they would be easily trained but it shows they have legs powerful enough to jump.

The running breeds (english spots, tans, rhinelanders, and to a certain extent checkered giants) do very well - they are after all bred to run and move. English spots are some of the best hopper I've seen. Britannia petites do well if you can find one that doesn't hate humanity (which is unlikely). Belgian hare crosses are competitive in europe. I've always had success hopping himalayans but I also have some himalayans that I know would just sit there like a log instead of jumping.

I'd recommend english spots or rhinelanders for hopping

Edit: running breeds run in a straight line because that's what they're bred and raised to do. Himalayans are very food motivated if you want to use food to train them

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer you one of my English Spot Kits that were just born, if the 2 month wait wouldn't bother you that is. :lol:
I'm kinda in the same boat though. I have a running breed, and want to try hopping, but I just haven't found the time to come up with the necessary supplies as well as training time. Good luck to you though

On of the Best Hoppers i ever saw was a little Britannia Petite named Humphrey. He blew out the competition at the Harrisburg, PA Convention in 2013.
The young lady that had him had "Clicker Trained" him for jumping.
He was awesome.... Fast and could he clear those jumps !
He has youngsters that are also doing really well in hopping.

In my experience, a good temperament is equally, if not more, important than jumping ability

You need a rabbit that won't get stressed out with the traveling or noise or smells of strange rabbits and humans and who will keep their mind on the job of jumping rather than sniffing around or trying to escape or "freezing"

Dood":33k5b5l5 said:
In my experience, a good temperament is equally, if not more, important than jumping ability

You need a rabbit that won't get stressed out with the traveling or noise or smells of strange rabbits and humans and who will keep their mind on the job of jumping rather than sniffing around or trying to escape or "freezing"
My point exactly with the link to the article I posted. The temperament is the biggest thing here. I've raised 6 week old French Lops that could jump on top of the bathroom counter without a thought. :lol: Biggest lovers you ever saw but everything I've read says, (and it make sense), don't use "Giants". It's too hard on their joints and bones.

Thanks for all the opinions!

I was looking into english spots and rihinelanders too, glad to hear they would do well. Sounds like Britannia petites would be a challenge, though I've had other challenging animals before. Guess I would have to see what they are like.

I still love the look of Tans. Are they considered too flighty/scared for competition?
I like belgian hares, but after reading up on the american lines not being to healthy and being fragile overall, I wouldn't want to get one(at least not with hopping in mind).

Edit: OMG, I just read up on Britannia Petites, they can be the same cool color as tans but a good deal smaller. If I find a good one(that doesn't hate humanity like sableseal said), its sounds like a great rabbit.

trahana":2h00pm9w said:
Edit: OMG, I just read up on Britannia Petites, they can be the same cool color as tans but a good deal smaller. If I find a good one(that doesn't hate humanity like sableseal said), its sounds like a great rabbit.

Too bad you're aren't closer to me, I've got a friendly-ish pet quality otter britannia petite buck that I need to get rid of :lol:

And tans are a bit more feisty/flighty than spots & rhinelanders, but still good personalities for hopping (and still more friendly than a britannia by far)

nabIj6a.jpg

SableSteel":2llpsnuj said:
trahana":2llpsnuj said:

Too bad you're aren't closer to me, I've got a friendly-ish pet quality otter britannia petite buck that I need to get rid of :lol:

And tans are a bit more feisty/flighty than spots & rhinelanders, but still good personalities for hopping (and still more friendly than a britannia by far)

nabIj6a.jpg

Gee, now I wish it was spring, because my family goes roadtripping to desert in nevada/arizona around that time. :| Just a slight detour....
But I'm not set up for bunnies yet. I'm planning to build a hutch/run, as the place I used to keep my rabbit has chickens now.

SableSteel":21t430la said:
nabIj6a.jpg

Reading that, it does give me a tinge of sadness, such a beautiful creature. Hopefully you can find a good placement for that rabbit. If not I know that it is good hands with you, and it will not go to wast.

Latest posts

Back