Golden Rabbit Broth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyP

Reaction score
Decided to jar some broth today cause I was tierd of it going bad in the refrigerator. So here is the recipe I ended up with.

4 rabbit ribs and the kidneys that came with them
5 pints of water
6 cloves of garlic
1 large onion, sweet preferably
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freash ground pepper
6 freash sprigs of Rosemary
1 handfull of blooming Thyme
8 scrathes of lime zest

Combine the water and rabbit with the onion quarterd and the garlic cloves peeled to a large stock pot and bring it to a rolling boile letting it cook for a hour. After a hour add the remaining ingrediants and reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes. Now we are able to turn off the heat and remove the rib cadges frome the stock pot. Once the ribs are removed and you feed you favorite dog the kidneys, place in the refriderator for 3 hours and let chill well. After everything is chilled out strain well removing all the fat a grease. At this point we are ready to fill the jars with the broth leaving at least a half inch of space in the jars. Place the jars in a pressure cooker and do the pressure cooking thing, remember 1 pound of pressure for every 1000 feet of altitude you live at starting at 10lbs. for sea level and let cook for 100 minutes.

Now we don't have to worry about the broth going bad in the fridge and your favorite companion is happy too. :dogkiss:

Attachments

• doc my companion (350x259).jpg
    doc my companion (350x259).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,402
:D We love rabbit broth! We've been freezing it, but I need to start canning it.

Trinityoaks mentioned another way of taking care of storing broth on one of my blog posts:
You can cook strained, de-greased broth down to a gel (called a glaze) that will stiffen or harden as it cools. 20 quarts of broth (before removing bones and vegetables) will cook down to 1 pint of glaze. It is much easier to store that way, and will keep much longer, as well. I’ve had it keep as long as 5 years in the refrigerator without going bad (if I didn’t use it up first).

A 1/4 tsp-sized piece will be enough for 6-8 cups of soup or gravy. You can use the glaze to make your own bouillon cubes if you pour it into a tray made for making miniature ice cubes.
That's something I want to try, too.

Thanks! I'm going to try this when butchering time comes. I got a brand new pressure canner for Christmas I have been dying to try out.

Oh hey, just a thought after re-reading. When you say rabbit ribs are you talking about the ribs after most of the meat has been taken off?

Back