Going to do our first breeding before too long ! HELP !

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The planned breeding fell through due to circumstances nobody could possibly have controlled.

So, we are looking into a different path for our wee rabbitry.

I'm going to post my thoughts - you more experienced people can (gently ;) ) steer me towards a different direction if you think I'm on the wrong path.

To start with - the rabbits

George, Chaos and Mischief are here now.
Jet, Fionn and Ballach will be picked up Dec.4
How long should the new rabbits be kept apart ?
2 weeks ? Month ?
Can they be bred earlier than that if they are not housed close together ?
I need some expertise on the WHY of the quarantine, and when it has to be done and when it doesn't.
I've done it with fish - if it's from a pet store, automatic 4-6 weeks in quarantine, but from a trusted fish person, I don't quarantine at all. That's all I know. I didn't quarantine our dogs when we brought them into the home - not from the cat, or from one another.

Bucks :

George - Dutch buck. Not going to be bred.
Chaos - Broken Chocolate MR.
Jet - Solid Black MR.
Fionn - REW MR.

Does :

Mischief - Broken Chocolate MR
Ballach - Broken Black MR

Secondly - the "plan"

Litter 1 : Jet + Mischief (black + broken choc)
Litter 2 : Fionn + Ballach (REW + broken black)

Is that going to be okay, or should I switch the does around ?
I'm more looking to get decent body type (Jet has won BOB, Chaos and Mischief are both "long in the shoulder", not sure that Fionn or Ballach have been shown).

But the colours and genetics fascinate me !

If anyone remembers "BadHabit" - once I have the pedigrees in hand, she and I are going to sit down and she's going to help me understand the genotypes better :D Thank you to RabbitTalk for us becoming friends !

First, tell BH I say hi!

Are the new buns coming from the same place? If so, you can breed the second pair immediately. As to the others, I would not breed them until after a 30 day quarantine.

For me, I quarantine to be sure the new buns are healthy and don't have issues adjusting to the new rabbitry, like new noises, new feed, new cages, lots of things that can cause stress. There are people here on RT who haven't quarantined and ended up with lots of dead rabbits. I have only brought in new buns once, and the newcomers were quarantined for 30 days. They did very well and are now bred.

Yes, breed the first two then. For the other pair, I would quarantine first, to be sure they aren't carrying anything. I quarantine for 6 weeks to be absolutely safe, but 4 weeks should be fine.
As for the colors, here are some most likely outcomes. They could have other colors depending on hidden recessives.
Pair 1: Black. If the sire carries choc than choc as well. Approx. 50% broken.
Pair 2: Black. Possibly other colors depending on recessives, approx. 50% broken.

If there is one thing Rex breeders have stressed with me.... Build the barn first, then paint it.....
Work on your type... (I'm starting with Harlequins.. but get lots of help from that group)

Hanging with the Rex breeders in Ontario & Michigan have taught me:
~~rex are fur rabbits first, so if the fur is out of condition, don't bother showing
~~Big wide head, big wide body
~~You cannot breed out long shoulders (cull)
~~sometimes the ones that are not showable make the best breeding bunnies... eg. excellent type doe of a non showable colour might produce your best showable rabbits, if bread to the right buck.
~~TYPE first, COLOUR second.
~~Narrow, flat bunnies must go
~~only sell a rabbit you would keep, but keep your best...
~~other breeders are your best source of advice and inspiration! - go to shows and get to know them....(they don't even have to breed the same rabbits as you!)
~~did I mention TYPE is more important than colour or patterning? ..... lol (they nag me about that too :lol: )

Well, this may not be happening now, because the seller - WHO PICKED THE MEETING DATE AND LOCATION - "forgot" she had a horse show that day and wants to meet another day.

AFTER I've arranged to do other things in that area (2 hours away from home) the original meeting date.

I've told her that I simply cannot suddenly re-arrange everything that I set up on the date SHE picked because she changed her mind, and that the new date she wants is the day my kids have dance and karate anyhow.

Now I'm waiting to hear if she can get someone to drop the rabbits off at the drop-off location for her.

Yeah - I'm perturbed.

Back