Going to buy tattoo equipment..advice?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided that I really need to tattoo the angoras. specially if I"m going to be selling using photographs...and it would be nice to figure out who's who as they grow. Might be useful for colony NWZ, too. considering I'm staying small (STOP LAUGHING...I will stay small...2 does..well..maybe 3..) but I could maybe put a single DOT or something in the left ear of kits from Doe 1, Dash in those from Doe 2, etc....to keep track of how the kits progress...but that's in the far future.

For now...Bloody fuzzy balls just all look alike. Dark gray. black face and ears. sigh. SO...I'd like to do a simple something to keep them straight.

I'm looking at that EZ Tat pen? Or would one of the clamp ones work better...or should I save coins for a couple of months to get a full electric pen? any advice?

and..how does the tattooing work when you tattoo a kit (1 month maybe) and they grow?

I have an EZ Tat and I absolutely love it as opposed to the clamp I used to use.

The both have pros and cons.

EZ, you can put what ever you want in the ear including shapes (but those can't be shown) like if you want to mark pet ears you can put a heart or something amusing. But you need a steady hand, but it's just like writting. Some people even put the rabbits entire name in the ear. These tattoos are easier to touch up if needed

The clamp. Limited to letters and numbers, and you have to try and avoid hitting veins. Though the numbers can be easier to read. Harder to touch up tattoos. When tattooing adults the sound of the skin "crunching" turns my stomach.

If you tattoo a young rabbit properly, the tattoo will become easier to read as the rabbit grows (growing with the rabbit).

Anntann":3b34zj4u said:
... considering I'm staying small (STOP LAUGHING...I will stay small...2 does..well..maybe 3..) but I could maybe put a single DOT or something in the left ear of kits from Doe 1, Dash in those from Doe 2, etc....

then doe one would be Dot, Dash, Heart, Star, Triangle, Square, Line
take all the thinking out of naming em too ;)

A few years ago I had a product called the PenTat. It was decent, but very breakable. It died when my puppy got a hold of it. Before than and currently I have a clamp set. They are very simple and quick to use. My handwriting SUCKS. Plus, trying to hold a rabbit still while you write a tattoo is difficult, especially with youngsters. From what I've seen, clamps are also cheaper.

lots to think on....since, for the foreseeable future I'm just looking to identify one from another for myself....oh cripes. can't decide. I'll go look at klubertanz and talk to the guy there. heheheee...maybe I can take a bunny and ask for a demonstration! :D

I LOVE EZ tatt! It's excellent, the easiest one to use that I've tried.

I hated my clamp when I had it. You had to work fast and not worry about hurting the rabbit when it was very obvious they were in pain. So long as you've got decent handwriting, I recomment the EZ tatt. It's one of the cheapest you'll find, and worth every penny and more.

I've tattooed myself with both kinds (not purposely mind you)
I have to say, the EZ did not hurt at all in fact it kind of tickled, and I have had some black spots on my thumb for over 2 years now. When I accidentally clamped my hand, boy did I holler when that happened, the rabbit on the other hand looked very smug.

I am not crazy about tattooing... it is rather messy, and there is not enough room on a rabbits ear for a good tribal or dragon.

The clamps are obviously painful, and one has to worry about the big vein in the ear. I guess I could use a pen, but my handwriting isn’t the greatest, and I would have to build one of the boxes to keep the rabbits still. They just rescinded the ban against parlors in the city last week, so maybe I can get a nice rose someplace where people won’t notice. :?<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 am __________<br /><br />

Nope. no tattoo pen yet. I'm being CHEAP this month. I'll have to see how much I have left after I order the chicks. I"m bidding on a couple of sets of hatching eggs...so that will tell me how much I have left (or need to scrounge up! ;) )

Tattoo equipment is the essence of his career. Even if you do not have the equipment, the artist becomes similar to the police without weapons.

Latest posts

Back