GMO-free rabbit feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonkitten

Reaction score
I have been enquiring into a GMO-free/Identity Preserved Grain based pellet for rabbits. Jones Feed Mill in Wroxeter, Ontario has a mill that is strictly for GMO-free IP grain and my feed supplier is looking into the cost and feasability of getting a custom milled feed. Jones Feed already has a line of this type of feed for poultry and sheep, so getting a rabbit feed shouldn't be too difficult.

Is there anyone in southern Ontario who would be interested in a GMO-free rabbit feed?

Truckinguy":2vp1semr said:
What is this and what are the advantages of it? Would it be more expensive? Is there a problem with the feed we've been buying?

Well, the pros and cons of using genetically modified seed are pretty controversial topics and most people are either absolutely in favour or totally against :) I happen to fall on the "against" side, but then I tend to think that factory farms, child labour and major pharmaceutical corporations are all major evils taking us on a short ride to economic and environmental disaster, so I could possibly be an alarmist ;)

My own personal philosophy is to try to do as little damage to the world as possible, taking into consideration the limits of the society I live in. Meaning, we don't use pesticides, do wear organic cotton or bamboo clothing, eat only organic or free range meat, use whatever products are available that do less harm to the environment regardless of the higher short-term cost (price). Yes, buying organic chicken feed costs more and so will GMO-free rabbit feed, but to me, it's a healthier option not only for those eating the end product, but also for the world we live in. This is a personal life choice however, and I understand that there are those who approve of using more chemicals to produce cheaper products, and that for many people, the dollar cost IS the bottom line.

I'm not trying to tell anyone that their feed is "bad", only hoping to offer another option for anyone who might be interested. I know you (Truckinguy) go through a lot less rabbit feed than I do, so perhaps you haven't noticed any problems with Bunnyview. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think it's a "bad" feed, and I'm sure lots of people use it with good success. I've just had a lot of doubts about the consistency of their mixing/handling process and the quality of the pellet as a result.

And if I'm going to go to the trouble of changing my feeding regime, I might as well try to take one more step down the road to doing less harm to the planet by switching to a feed that doesn't use genetically modified grain (still just an opinion here, lots of people thing GMO is the best thing since sliced bread).

Sadly, I still can't quite manage to ditch that automobile in favour of a bike, but someday.... someday....

That would be an awfully long commute by bicycle. :p

I would be interested in the non-GMO feed, depending on how much more expensive it is than the regular stuff. I've been using Oswego Creek pellets (from Minor Bros.) and everything seems to be going ok with it, but . . .

I can get very good second-cut alfalfa, so I could maybe cut back on the pellets a bit, and supplement with the hay. :roll: Speaking of which, if I have several hundred bales of it in my barn, and you want to buy some of it - if I'm going up that way for feed on a regular basis, I could certainly haul a few bales as needed. In my very non-environmentally-friendly pickup truck of course! :lol:

HEY!!! Can I get some of that hay???? :) if you are coming this way anyway.... :)
and moonkitten already knows my interest....

I have noticed whole bits of stuff in the pellets from time to time but otherwise I haven't had any problems with them. I"ve had no digestive problems and the buns seem to do well on them. I would have to see how much more expensive they are before I would make the change. Of course, if I was able to change over to natural feeding that would be ideal.... :)

I understand your feelings on the environment. I"m also trying to change things in my life to get along better with Mother Nature, buy local, starting to raise my own food, reduce, reuse, recycle, etc. I wish more people thought that way.

Would this still be through Bunnyview or through someone else?

Truckinguy":18kqfglq said:
Would this still be through Bunnyview or through someone else?

It's Brian at Grandview who is setting up the milling order. He's interested in switching his rabbits to this type of feed as well, but he doesn't use enough feed to justify ordering a ton (which is about 40 bags or so, I think). I can easily use a half ton well before the expiry date, but the more people willing to buy a few bags here and there, the faster it will go and the fresher it will be when feeding.<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:47 am __________<br /><br />
ladysown":18kqfglq said:
HEY!!! Can I get some of that hay???? :) if you are coming this way anyway....

Ooooh, we could organize a monthly breakfast meeting over feed and hay.... I'll bring the coffee - free trade beans, of course :lol:

Now I wish I lived up thata-way! why is it never in my neck of the woods? :) I make a mean pecan sticky bun...mmmmn I should go make some, actually.

lol, eco2pia, we should have our own party! lol. I'm getting better at foraging, I can bring some clover mint tea!<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 pm __________<br /><br />hehe, we'll be doing one better, coffee dont grow well here....

I think there's at least 4 of us in the WA/OR area. I'm outside Portland.

We'll just have to have our own :band:

Shannon

Just to let you Ontarioans know, I have switched to my first bags of GMO-free feed and it looks pretty good. Nice consistency to the pellets, good smell, no fines and the rabbits seem to like it just fine. The feed is available from Grandview Commercial Rabbitry and this batch was $11.40 for a 25kg bag. If you want to try it, make sure you contact Brian ahead of time. It is currently a custom milled product so he may not have any on hand. If there is enough demand, he might start to stock it regularly, but until then, call before you go.

Latest posts

Back