giving up for now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
I think i may have to give up my colony idea for now. my does keep killing the babies and i am starting to wonder if it is because they are all together now. the people i got the females from said they had no problems with them killing kits I am thinking of leaving the baby females that have been together since they were 6-8 weeks old and letting them have a colony but i think seperating the other older 3 to thier own pens may help for now. I will try again come spring but i am so upset i wanted a colony so bad.

Oh no! Sorry this is happening. Are the Does killing the kits on purpose or is it accidental due to the colony set-up?

all i know is they are dead one waseaten and one was laying there dead

dh wants to know if we could just seperate them as they get dlose to birthing?

So sorry. Seperating them seems to be an excellent solution. Maybe you could partition off a small area of the colony just for a pregnant doe...

I'm thinking the same as Pickles. Perhaps letting them live together until kindling date. Then run a chicken wire down the colony if possible..so they does can SEE and nose each other, but the non-mom does can't get to the nestbox? That way they'll still maintain the bonding they've done, and perhaps after the kits are bigger, all will get along better.

I had my 2 NZ does get into trouble when one kindled and the other didn't. non-mom just went in and tossed the babies around. The next time I'll either run a fence down the center, or might take the nestboxes out except for feeding times. I'd thought originally it was the buck doing the damage, but it was the 2nd doe.

My beveren girls are about to meet up with ThorBunny (beveren buck). The girls have been living together quite nicely and I'm hoping they can kindle together. There's the same dynamic in the 2 groups..one dominate nasty wench, and 2 sweethearts.

I have read a few articles by people who separate out for kindling and put them back when the kits reach weaning age and are tattooed. The main reason given is usually to keep track of pedigrees while still having a colony situation. I plan to do this with demon rabbit when she's due in a couple weeks. Although if she has a nice doe kit she will probably not be returning to the colony or taking up cage space here anymore.

A couple of questions. What are you using for nest boxes? How old were the kits when they were killed? How many times has this happened? How long were the does in the colony together before they kindled?

I do agree that it is much easier to set up a peaceful colony if the does are all young when introduced to it. They work out their pecking order and establish limits long before they are ready to breed. If at all possible, this is the best way to begin a colony.

they were all brandnew babies and this is the third time it has happened with different does. I have one square seperated nest box the top raises but it is fully enclosed and a set of ofur together made of wood top lifts but is fully enclosed. I can get a picture of them tomorrow when i clean the pen

I do think you will need to separate them and try the colony again with different, very young rabbits.

You might also want to look into nest tunnels instead of boxes. The does can pile up hay or straw to block the entrance and that helps keep other does from wandering in... and the kits from wandering out too soon.

now i am trying to find an easy quick way to seperate until febuary bacause the next set of kits is due from the 17-20. I am thinking just some wire to make a few sections for now

would it work do you think to partition off 3 of the four nest boxes as seperates and leave the young does who are fine together alone in a bigger colony type setting?

Back