Register

Giving dogs their shots at home

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 320.00

Re: Giving dogs their shots at home

Post Number:#16  Unread postby BeachBC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:06 pm

The following user would like to thank BeachBC for this post
ButtonsPalace

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby akane » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 pm

To throw some huge matters of opinion in here that are going by unchallenged... You need to do your own research on many of these matters.

Personally I would not trust a vet for spay/neuter advice unless I knew that vet and then I'd already know their advice. I would do research. I do not spay until 1-2 heat cycles and I do not neuter until over a year old if at all. This is becoming much more common in dogs that will do heavy activity as adults because it is being shown to benefit those doing dog sports. Previously most dog sports were limited to potential breeding animals either by the level of competition the owners were doing or by the registry recognizing the competition. As more people want to do things with their non-breeding animals but on the same level and even the registry services like the akc are recognizing that with separate competition circles the impact of spay/neuter age on physical problems earlier in life started to become more apparent. Prior to that you could also find studies done that discovered more aggression and wash outs in service dogs with early spay/neuter, especially females, but this rarely saw the light of day with all the shelter push to neuter and kind of floated around the fringe groups instead of main pet forums. Many vets still follow older thinking or somewhere inbetween. You need to decide based on the growth rate of your breed/mix, their level of activity as they get older, and your ability to keep them contained and safe from accidental pregnancy or causing accidental pregnancy. Preferably I would not have spayed my akita at all since they are very clean, she had no problem wearing a pad, and her behavior didn't change but I had her out on my mom's farm sometimes and strange males would show up so I decided that doing it eventually was a good idea instead of years of risk. I regretted it because when she was several years old I wished I could have gotten a puppy out of her. Cancer isn't a cut and dry argument for it either.

I also disagree with some of the vaccination schedules and restrictions mentioned. If the dam was vaccinated I prefer them not to be started so young when I get them and neither does my vet, they will often start them at 8weeks, because part of the reason for doing a series of shots is that you don't know when the dam's coverage of antibodies ends and the puppy's immune system begins. If you do them too early you may just be using up the antibodies the dam gave to protect the puppy before the puppy can make it's own. It actually can be harmful. Some even choose a single 12+week vaccination followed by yearly instead of a series of puppy shots depending on the details of their dogs and area. I see that more in hunting or other specific working dogs from solid healthy breeding lines kept fairly isolated and only taken out for training rather than pets or dogs exposed to the public. Of course some wild animals can spread some things and some will base things off that argument. I also take my puppies out to the lowest risk areas I can find and start walking them, on grass and other surfaces included, well before they are finished with all rounds of puppy shots. They are more likely to get parvo from my yard or walking to my car than a trail and I'm not keeping them pottying inside the whole time. My current one was 30lbs by her last puppy shots. I also want them socialized asap. That 8week mark starts a crucial socialization time for breeds that can turn shy or protective so they need to be out seeing things where possible. By 12-14weeks it's going to be harder or may even just be too late for some things. I never keep anything in a bubble and that is my choice to risk. It's all a constant risk assessment versus benefits. The breeder of my akita would be teaching them to walk on a leash to the grass and potty on command before they were even 8 weeks old and off of her own property too because she'd start penning them in the office and training them to go outside the building before they were ready for homes.

There is no x age for anything or how to do it really. Like most things there are a variety of suggestions and methods you need to decide based on your details.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,032.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Well I definitely won't be wanting pups,but if I ever did I'd probably buy a pair and have puppies to sell as work dogs. We definitely plan on potty training asap and we live with 7 people, cats, other dogs of all sizes, and tons of yard animals, so I think socializing them won't be a problem (Not to mention we have people over quite often) About shots though, I want my two pups to be pets, so I'm assuming around 8-10 weeks would be a good time to start first shots? I don't want to hurt these pups, or make them sick. I want them to have the best possible life. They all will be pets, sold at the same local pet store I sell my rabbits, It's ran by a woman, and her fiance and they have a very nice, clean place, and all their animals are very healthy. We plan on keeping them here till around 16 weeks, that way they've had all their shots and are hopefully leash/potty trained.

__________ March 29th, 2017, 7:48 pm __________

So I read all those articles and am now finding it hard to want them to be fixed. But I just can't handle the constant risk of accidental pregnancy by her brother or a stray male. I am planning to call all the local vets and see if I can find a vet who will do a partial spay/neuter. Meaning he'd have a vasectomy and she'd get her tubes tied. I do plan to train them young, and I don't plan to let her out when in heat unsupervised or off a leash, but I still can't handle that small chance of him mounting her, those babies would be so inbred they'd be retarded and I couldn't live with myself doing something like that.
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

Previous