Ginger Root for Weaning Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I read (somewhere) that ginger root is good to feed kits when weaning. How much do you give? Should I give them a 3- 4 inch piece like I get from the grocery store and let the litter of 8 go at it? And how often - maybe every other day for a week? These will be my first weanlings so I'm not sure how fast the whole weaning process goes.

I usually let momma doe wean the kits herself sometime in the 4-8 week range. Enteritis deaths are uncommon for me, so I do not feel the need to give most kits anything special, except hay and oats which are good foods for their developing GI tracts.

Acting on the basis of "reading something somewhere" can be dangerous.

Are you feeding your adults pellets or natural diet or a combination? Hay and oatmeal are usually enough to help weanlings to make a good transition.

I've never heard of ginger root being used to help with weaning rabbits, but it is known to settle human stomachs, so I suppose it is possible it would be helpful to the rabbits. More research needed.

Glad I asked! I give mostly pellets and some hay. They get a few dandelion, plantain, clover, or wild blackberry leaves almost everyday - one or the other, not all at the same time. Oatmeal and hay would be much easier and apparently safer. I believe I got the ginger root idea from 3 Little Ladies website but I'll have to double check.

It wasn't 3 Little Ladies, but I didn't copy the exact website. It also says that ginger root increases sperm count in bucks and the powdered ginger should be given to weanlings. I have a few websites to go through to find it but when I do I'll post. I'm at work at the moment so it may be later today.

If the youngsters are doing fine with the greens you have mentioned, I would continue giving them some. Plantain and blackberry leaves are very safe for young rabbits. They won't cause constipation, but they will relieve any tendency towards diarrhea.

Back