Register

GET OFF your Righteous Podium!

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,147.00

GET OFF your Righteous Podium!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:32 am

I have a nice little page on my FaceBook that I post photos of my Rabbits, Litters, recipes and notes/photos of my adventures in curing pelts.

I posted about my first show and some lady posts this:

"You go on about how cute and cuddly these bunnies are, then you turn around and slaughter them, bragging about how you skin them, and sell them at a summer market. You are a butcher and should not have any animals judging by the way you treat these helpless animals. Bipolar sounds more like it lady."

Needless to say I blocked this lady from my page.

It makes me hopping mad :evil: that people think they can get on their high horse and judge others when they eat factory raised farm animals; Blissfully and deliberately ignorant of the cruelty many factory farm animals endure for their cellophane wrapped packages of meat from the grocery store.
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 581.00

Re: GET OFF your Righteous Podium!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 am

SarniaTricia wrote:I have a nice little page on my FaceBook that I post photos of my Rabbits, Litters, recipes and notes/photos of my adventures in curing pelts.

I posted about my first show and some lady posts this:

"You go on about how cute and cuddly these bunnies are, then you turn around and slaughter them, bragging about how you skin them, and sell them at a summer market. You are a butcher and should not have any animals judging by the way you treat these helpless animals. Bipolar sounds more like it lady."

Needless to say I blocked this lady from my page.

It makes me hopping mad :evil: that people think they can get on their high horse and judge others when they eat factory raised farm animals; Blissfully and deliberately ignorant of the cruelty many factory farm animals endure for their cellophane wrapped packages of meat from the grocery store.

Stinking liberals. LOL jk to all the liberals out there. :smile-ban: :sorry:

We have gotten away from raising our own meat and it has corrupted the new generations. I am guessing most of us have had a run in with someone that doesn't agree with what we are doing. I always like to remind them that they just ate a plate of meat and it was someones animal before.

Honestly, this is the first time I have personally raised meat for my family. It was a new experience that has left me with a lot of respect for the animal and what it provides. Sadly that moron couldn't understand that. Stick with it and keep your finger on the delete button. She won't be the last sadly. :good-luck:

Canada Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:45 am

This is not my first run-in with close minded judgemental asses.

I would love to provide all the protein that my family consumes, and not support animal factory farming.... so far we have a chicken tractor on a friend's land and we have rabbits... we did split a cow that was raised on pasture by a smaller farmer(almost all gone now) and we have yet to figure out our pork angle, so still buy pork at the grocery store.... SO I am not one to throw stones...

But if you don't like my page... don't view or like or have anything to do with it! Really!

I know some pet rabbits that don't get treated as well as my meat bunnies!

They get fresh mint and parsley and I plan on growing plants next year just for them! They are not tormented. Their pans are cleaned weekly. They get the best possible feed I can get for them. Fresh sweet smelling hay. Fed and fresh water daily. regular pets and can visit with other bunnies in the cage next to them.

When they are dispatched it is quick and efficient. I respect the fact that they are feeding my family and try and use all of the animal.

I'm not sure what some people expect ... that their meat/protein comes out of a machine; packaged in plastic and ready to go?

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,230.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Marinea » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 am

Reason number *some ridiculously high number* why I don't use Facebook.

People will post because they can. And while I am thick-skinned, just the time needed to block/reply or whatever isn't worth the aggravation. I have a site that I maintain with a web address that is only listed on my business cards which are given out after a chat.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
Zass

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,346.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:09 am

I agree completely with you on this, SarniaTricia. I was having a great conversation with a friend of mine at some little shop or another, and a couple standing near us overheard. I had only talked about my dreams of having a solid rabbitry at that point, and briefly we had discussed where to get good recipes (luckily those are easy to come by in a German family). The guy just gave me a look like I was a sociopath. The lady turns to me and says "but they're so cute, and isn't killing them going to be awful and cruel? I much prefer just going to the grocery store".

:groooan:
That defeats the purpose of raising them, feeding them quality food, and butchering them myself to ensure they don't suffer needlessly!!!

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,377.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Dood » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:32 pm

As someone who worked in animal hospitals for 9 years and a shelter for 5 I can safely say that the VAST majority of people cannot handle death AT ALL

Some are so terrified of it they'd rather let their "beloved" pets slowly waste away from disease or old age rather than make the tough descisions to end their suffering

They cannot wrap their mind around the idea that there are worse fates than death and being crammed into a travel cage and driven 3 hours to the nearest processing plant, where they will wait surrounded by strange animals and with the sounds and smells of death until it is their time to be strung up and electrocuted is one of them

I ABSOLUTLY would prefer to butcher my own livestock, swiftly and with a loving hand

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
Homer, MaggieJ, michaels4gardens, Zass

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,075.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:37 pm

It irks the heck out of me when people hide behind the anonymity of the internet and a screen name... now some will blatantly say it to your face, but most others just do it online. Maddening! No FB for me, I don't think my skin is thick enough anyway.

I get a lot of comments about it, rare that they come from a vegetarian/vegan. I don't understand how grocery store meat is so much better?? ALthough some people for some reason don't realize that actually came from an animal with a face at one point either. My MIL said she could never eat "Bambi" or "Thumper" - that she could easily be a vegetarian. I'll believe it when I see it since she eats meat at nearly every single meal. Her dad used to raise pigs, and has cows now. She still eats beef and pork though...
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 7, 5, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 6 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,520.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Homer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:48 pm

Marinea wrote:Reason number *some ridiculously high number* why I don't use Facebook.

:yeahthat:

TheChad wrote:
Stinking liberals. LOL jk to all the liberals out there.

I'm NOT! They can kiss my rosy red:
Image Oh-oh, Maggie's going to get after me again... :roll:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
TheChad

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,922.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zass » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:15 pm

My choice to raise my own meat has absolutely nothing to do with any political party or affiliation.

I support weapons, hunting, and raising my own food, but I also support everyone's personal rights and freedom of religion, sexuality, and everything else that I feel isn't really my personal business anyway.

I DON'T SUPPORT pretty much anything about modern politics, or the massive republic-crat party that so effectively plays us off each other like spectators at a football game. :soap:

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,003.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Homer wrote: Oh-oh, Maggie's going to get after me again... :roll:

Now, Homer . . . when have you ever seen me wield "The Chair"??? :chair:

But maybe you should have hung onto that "Get Away With It" card. :twisted:

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,475.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby akane » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:03 pm

So tired of politics showing up where politics has no point. I will be happy when this circus is over. Or not and we will be enacting the plan to become essentially refugees and move to sweden.

To the actual point. Be glad they generally stay online. It's pretty simple to shut up most of these people. Even more so if they have pets because of the sources of meat going into kibble. If you don't have the time it's a button click away to make them disappear. I had someone going to martial arts who started out personally vegetarian and became a self righteous vegan and we became horrible people with the wife of the pair running the school helping me butcher quail and me giving her chickens and rabbits to cook. Luckily at the time I was indestructible because she did not leave her anger off the training floor but there was nothing she could do to me. Usually I just bounced back so fast she eventually injured herself trying to expend it on me and had to leave class. At some point she quit showing up. I don't know if she found a group of vegans to go be better than us with or if she just burnt herself out and couldn't deal with people anywhere.

It's become the correct thing to do to expend all the effort you can keeping a pet alive as long as you can no matter how much it is suffering. Spending thousands $ for an extra month or force feeding and cleaning it while it lays there unable to react has become normal somehow and the moral way to act. There's also this huge separation of farm versus pet animals that in some places is inaccurate. My city will not allow a soda can size serama chicken in a house but I can have as big of parrot as I want. It's a farm animal simply because they see chickens raised on farms and other breeds become food. In some places it's illegal to butcher a guinea pig including the giant meat cuy brought from south america more recently. They are pets because we didn't raise them on farms and eat them. You also in the US can't eat baby anything unless you stick it under some other name like veal. How many people don't even know exactly what veal is.... I was asking for hatching eggs so I could butcher the chicks young (I was in a condo) for my cats to still have fresh chicken. ooooo did I get hate emails. :lol: I even got a stalker who went around getting my ads flagged on all sites so I had to email to unlock my accounts and get them banned instead. I think about each thing individually and draw my own line in the sand on where I group things and I let others do the same. That is one thing that very few groups of people teach to each other these days. Instead it's conform to all opinions or be outcast.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

1 year of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 296.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby JJCRabbitry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Excuse my post here, but I can understand what you are saying.
First and foremost, I respect meat breeders. I have no issues with it, and I understand why it is done. As long as the animals are treated fairly, and humanely, I have no problem with it.
I have seen meat breeders, who treat their animals like dirt, and those are the ones who give off a bad name. I have a good friend, who herself is a meat breeder, and she has since convinced me that not all are like the one I had dealt with in the past.
With all of that being said, I have issues with "people" as well. I raise both pedigreed, and pet animals. ( not for meat) I get quite a few emails, weekly at least, to tell me how many buns are in the shelters, how I should be "ashamed" for breeding more, etc.
I am also told I do not respect my animals. I shouldn't have them.
My husband and I can not have children. We have buns instead. I am unlike most breeders, as I breed for health, and good temperament, above all. I get lots of crap for it, but I do what I want. At the end of the day, I'm the one who feeds them, births them, feeds them, (again)..., cleans them, and cries with them.
I truly understand where you are coming from, and I wanted to give another "job" input to the situation... :gnight:
JJC Rabbitry
Selling QUALITY Flemish Giants in Blue and Fawn, Mini Rex in Castor and Red, Lionheads, Holland Lops, and Pet mixes.

Site Supporter
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,151.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Preitler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 pm

I second that agument that people can't deal with death, that most humans in western society are living in an artificial bubble. Most live off the energy from oil, coal and electricity, are kept in tiny concrete cages, fed things produced with chemicals and by machines, move from one cage to the other and return every day their whole life, are fed a replacement reality by TV and internet, where animals speak and lives can be saved by clicks...

No life can be safed, every single one will end. And that's not a bad thing. It's life. And it's the life that matters, and how it is, imho.
I know a meat breeder where I cringe at how he keeps his rabbits, I'm working on that, helping where I can, and nagging.

It's not politics, nor religion, but that almost nobody lives off the soil they live on anymore, have no idea how life actually works. I can't blame anybody, I'm a relict, but I have no problem arguing face to face. Internet is different, you can write the biggest crap, and nothing happens. Just ignore the replies and continue, and you win. I'm pretty sure many of those making a point don't actually believe in it - it's just about making a point, or with more troubled minds, set an example that the world out there does you wrong...

Anyway, rabbits are great pets too, I completly understand that many who know that aspect are not comfortable with the meat thing. Imho, it's the same thing, consuming them, one way just takes longer and feeds different needs.
A good day ain't got no rain, a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been...

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 466.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Dwc77 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 pm

For some reason people have a lot of trouble with the eating rabbit thing. They are cute cuddly and soft but so is every animal when they are small but most people have no trouble eating a chicken! I have processed a lot of rabbits and can't think of one that I enjoyed killing but they are a good meat source for my family and my kids play with them pull them grass but at the end of it they eat them. I will say this WHEN or IF the lights go out in this country we won't be going hungry :) But some of those to-good tree hugers just might :lol:

Canada Female

Post Number:#15  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Ok .... so Sally West is going to a lot of trouble to harass me, her latest post under a different FB profile! :

"at least i don't treat them like they are my pets , show videos and pictures of "oh look at my cute bunnies before they are butchered and post in Kijiji pimping them out for photos arounds Easter! You are the Bad Ass ! Why are u deleting my posts, afraid of the bad publicity lady?"

This is getting kinda creepy!!!
It appears she/he is actually researching me .... total weirdo!
I'm not too concerned.... if She/he wants to find me they will... and I'm getting annoyed enough to want them to!

Next