Genotypes and Kit Colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to learn more about genetics but I'm not at all proficient yet, so I was wondering if someone could help me out with my breeding trio's genotypes?
The buck is solid chocolate. His sire was solid seal and his dam was Broken black steel. He also has Broken chinchilla, GTS, broken chestnut agouti, broken black, chocolate, and chestnut agouti in his lines.
The does are sisters. Doe #1 is broken smoke pearl and doe #2 is REW. Their site was broken smoke pearl and their dam was REW. They have broken sable, chestnut agouti, Broken blue, GTS, broken black, chinchilla, black, and black steel in their lines.
From what I know, I believe all three would be aa. Buck would be bb. Does are Bb? Smoke pearl doe is Cchl? REW doe is cc. I don't know about the buck.
Another question I have is since I bred all three of these rabbits together, what kits will I likely get from chocolate x broken smoke pearl and chocolate x REW?
Thank you!

Ok for the Chocolate he is either E- aa bb D- Ccchl or Es- aa bb D- Ccchl. The reason he could be either E- or Es- is that steel doesn't show on self colors because there is no agouti to alter and because he had a steel parent we can't be sure if he is E- or Es- We also can't tell the other allele (denoted by the -) because it's possible one of his parents was hiding something and without either purposely test breeding or a bit of luck you'd never know. He can't carry broken as that is an incomplete dominant and it's one of those that is very hard to hide. He will however carry seal because his sire is seal and I believe most seals are homozygous for cchl. I don't have any seal or sables in my herd and I don't remember how variable the expression is so hopefully someone else can verify with that one.

Doe #1 will be E- aa B- cchlc dd Again you can't be sure if she carries a recessive on the E locus for the same reason as the buck but you do know she has both cchl and c because her dam was REW and her sire was smoke pearl. You also know she is dd because she is smoke pearl herself. You can't know if the does carry chocolate for sure without their having a chocolate parent. You also can't know what the REW doe might be under the REW except that she carries at least one dilute (d) and at least one self (a) from her sire.

You said they have agouti in the pedigree is that a parent? If so it's possible the REW could be agouti under the REW you won't know until the kits are born.

So you will probably get some seal and sable kits from the smoke pearl doe and some sable kits from the REW doe but you may get other colors as well. All the kits will carry at least one copy of chocolate (b) and the kits from the smoke pearl doe will also carry at least one copy of dilute (d).

From what I read, seal is almost always cchlcchl, but very occasionally people report a seal throwing rew. I attribute this to the cchm allele described in Robinson, but it could be something else (eg misidentification, or modifiers affecting cchl).

Also, there's a 50/50 chance that doe #2 is hiding broken.

Choco buck = aa bb Ccchl D_ E_ enen

Brk Smoke Pearl doe = aa B_ cchl c dd E_ ENen

REW = _a __ cc _d __ __

Choco x smoke =
Black - solid and broken
Siamese sable - solid and broken
Others depending on recessives

Choco x REW =
Black (possibly chestnut and broken)
Siamese sable (possibly sable chinchilla and broken)
Others depending on recessives

Back