Genital growth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I butchered six rabbits yesterday and found this growth on one of them. I'm pretty sure it was a female. All of it's organs were healthy and normal as were the other five I butchered. I checked everyone else in the colony and all were fine. Any idea what this is and is the rabbit still edible?

Attachments

• IMG_3492[3].jpg
    IMG_3492[3].jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 1,348
Oh boy... that looks rough! :x Poor girl(?)!

Maybe extreme vent disease? Although, if none of the others had any signs, then I am not sure.

Yeast??

I have no earthly idea. It looks almost like blisters... but not really... were they wart like?

Obviously I am just thinking out loud here :oops:

Truckinguy, I'm afraid it looks like vent disease as shown in this thread:
various-rabbit-diseases-graphic-t14782.html

Scroll 'way down to the title Syphilis.

The pictures of various rabbits with diseases are very graphic . . . I'm feeling slightly queasy after viewing them.

I personally would not eat the rabbit. I don't think it could harm you, but the ick factor would stop me. And I certainly would not use it for raw feeding of any other animal.

If it turns out to be vent disease, you will need to be vigilant to catch signs in other rabbits. You may have to end up treating them all. I do have to wonder where she could have caught it since none of the others show symptoms. So maybe it's something else altogether.

Thanks, Maggie, it does look like vent disease. She was young so likely not mated yet although she was in with a litter that I let grow out longer than usual due to being busy over Christmas. I'm keeping an eye on the rest of them just in case. I think I'll dispose of the carcass just to be safe. This is a first for me, another lesson on the journey of the critters.

It makes you wonder, though, where the disease came from. Do you have any relatively new stock, brought in from outside? Have you checked the sire and dam to make sure they are not showing any symptoms? I suppose it is possible that the carrier is asymptomatic, or even that through-the-wire contact with a wild rabbit is to blame. Sure hope it's a one-time thing.
:clover: :clover: :clover:

Yowzer :(

My first guess would be vent disease but you'd expect others with symptoms in the group

It definitely looks like a growth and not damaged skin from a bite wound

No other rabbits are showing any signs of anything abnormal. I bought a doe with a buck from her litter last year but they have been fine and healthy. I'm wondering if it was some kind of infection. Even though I keep the colony pretty clean and change out the bedding regularly they do have contact with some poop so she could have picked something up that way. I discarded the carcass just in case and I'm keeping a close eye on everybody just in case. This is the first time I have seen anything like this since I got my first rabbits so hopefully it's just a one off thing.

Thanks for the replies!

Back