Register

Gearing up for Rabbits!!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Gearing up for Rabbits!!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby klaussk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:43 am

Good day to all! I am new to the site and currently reside in Illinois. In about 5 months I plan on moving to Houston, Texas. Within a year I plan to purchase my first house, that's when I plan on starting my meat rabbit herd. I have never raised rabbiit before or any other livestock for that matter. I have begun reading several books and doing some rather extensive research online, I think this site will be a great wealth of information and cannot wait to learn from more experienced people. I have plenty of time to plan and first on my agenda of much needed solutions is dealing with the Texas heat in summer months. I have some interesting plans that I plan on sharing through a separate thread.
Last edited by MaggieJ on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo in title

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,828.00

Re: Gearing uo for Rabbits!!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:09 am

:welcome: to RT! :D

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Marinea » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:12 am

Welcome!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,212.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Homer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:44 am

Welcome to our rabbit hole klaussk!

Best advice is buy your stock in Houston. Their blood line will already be somewhat accustomed to the temps there. :)
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby alforddm » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:53 pm

Homer wrote:Welcome to our rabbit hole klaussk!

Best advice is buy your stock in Houston. Their blood line will already be somewhat accustomed to the temps there. :)

This is good advice you might also consider getting stock from TAMUK. http://users.tamuk.edu/kfsdl00/rabb.html

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Re: Gearing up for Rabbits!!

Post Number:#6  Unread postby klaussk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you for the welcomes everyone. I just checked out the TAMUK line and will be saving that link, thank you. Do you know anyone who have breed from that line in a backyard with out electric cooling in the summer?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:25 pm

Welcome! Others have already made the same recommendation I would have about heat tolerant stock...

And yes, this is a HUGE source of information. I wish I would have known then what I know now - would have saved some money and frustration with poor initial stock... live and learn. I do credit RT with saving my entire herd after bringing in a sick rabbit around the time I joined. I didn't have a clue how serious it was, but was able to catch it soon enough that only a couple rabbits were lost...
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby macksmom98 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:28 am

Welcome! I am from Corpus Christi and we have had
rabbits for 2 summers so far, and never lost any. We also don't have them air conditioned. It will definitely help to purchase a bloodline once you move. We don't breed from June-Aug/Sept. at all. We like to give the girls a break during those months. We put frozen gallon water
Jugs in their cages and they snuggle up to those:). They need good ventilation and plenty of shade. One of the big problems our area experiences is heat sterility in the males. This year I am planning to move my Buck inside in July and August, to hopefully keep that from happening so once fall hits we don't have that issue. Otherwise it's pretty easy to breed all winter here, as well as spring and fall. Plenty of sunshine for them!