Garlic planting time

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DSCF5111.JPGGarlic planting time is here, Tia my daughter and I set a goal of 40,000 cloves-- we are about 1/2 way there,
planted two more rows today, --before i got too old

the cabbage is growing impatient waiting for me to finish with the garlic...

Attachments

• DSCF5104.JPG
    DSCF5104.JPG
    595.5 KB · Views: 2,273
I think I'm skipping another year. Just didn't get the beds ready and I can't keep up with the weeds if I go ahead and plant in the current setup again.

Yup. Took all my garden out this weekend. Plow tonight, disk in a few days and pull my rows. If everything stays on track I'll get mine in next weekend.

Not really sure I like planting it though. To me it means growing things is over for another year. :x Guess the weeds need a brake too. :lol:

What are you making your divots in the soil with? Almost looks like a sheeps foot roller footprint. :p
etractor12944WEBlg.jpg

Homer":7ko1qw63 said:
Yup. Took all my garden out this weekend. Plow tonight, disk in a few days and pull my rows. If everything stays on track I'll get mine in next weekend.

Not really sure I like planting it though. To me it means growing things is over for another year. :x Guess the weeds need a brake too. :lol:

What are you making your divots in the soil with? Almost looks like a sheeps foot roller footprint. :p
etractor12944WEBlg.jpg

The divots are where the garlic cloves were pushed down into the soil, --

Wow! So neat to see!

I am getting ready to try garlic for the first time this year. I have inchellium red, I believe? Not sure yet where I am going to plant it. I was going to try ODS's 4x4 bed from this past year, but I don't think it gets enough sun (part of the reason why it did so pitifully this past year).

My aunt and uncle planted/harvested/saved the same garlic for 20 years or more (some her uncle brought her from a trip to Italy), a couple of years ago her brother in law was staying with them and wanted to help plant. My aunt said he wasn't planting them deep enough, but they ignored her. They were so upset when nothing came up that year... none left to start it back with. Not sure if they ever got any more or not...

michaels4gardens":2ij4282n said:
The divots are where the garlic cloves were pushed down into the soil, --
I'm disappointed. Here I thought you had a way to make planting easier. ;) <br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:36 pm __________ <br /><br />
heritage":2ij4282n said:
... My aunt said he wasn't planting them deep enough, but they ignored her. They were so upset when nothing came up that year... none left to start it back with. Not sure if they ever got any more or not...
I push mine in up to my second knuckle on my forefinger. (about 1-1/2")

Planting depth is kind of dependant on your climate, - in areas with very hard winters [like -10 to - 20 ] 2 to 4 inches of dirt cover is planting depth, -- in areas with a milder winter- an inch or two is enough, -- be sure to plant the clove pointed end up, and root scar down. raised beds help keep water from sitting around the roots, it is especially important during bulb formation time-- here june first to july first.

Maybe I need to plant my garlic deeper. I planted mine at clove depth.

Mine are due for harvest around Christmas time, they were planted in April.

Hoping for a good harvest.

Catherine99":hzz8l89q said:
Maybe I need to plant my garlic deeper. I planted mine at clove depth.

Mine are due for harvest around Christmas time, they were planted in April.

Hoping for a good harvest.

the low temps I mentioned were negative Fahrenheit [not celsius] temperatures ,
I am not sure of your winter low temps in your area,

However-- if you have not lost any plants to "frost heave" over the winter-- you are probably doing just fine...
regards,
Michael

michaels4gardens":3v0s3ml3 said:
Planting depth is kind of dependant on your climate, - in areas with very hard winters [like -10 to - 20 ] 2 to 4 inches of dirt cover is planting depth, -- in areas with a milder winter- an inch or two is enough, -- be sure to plant the clove pointed end up, and root scar down. raised beds help keep water from sitting around the roots, it is especially important during bulb formation time-- here june first to july first.

We plant 1500 and stagger the planting times hoping they won't all be ready to harvest at once. We get -20 or a bit lower sometimes so plant deep. Will plant the last 600 this weekend. One year we had a bunch of college students "helping" and even though they were told to plant point up, many were planted point down. They grew but because they had to make a U-turn to do so half of the head wasn't well developed.
Our garlic came from various people who shared some of their harvest and over time they've become more similar but you can still see the differences. Guess we've got mutt garlic sort of like our meat mutt rabbits. :) And we've given garlic to various people who came and helped, wanting to learn and start a community garden when they went home to Long Island or Ohio or Maine or wherever.

We hit -10 to -20 but it doesn't stay that way. Been doing it at ~1-1/2" for years with good result. 2 or 3 years ago we had about 20% winter kill and that's probably why. It was nasty that year. :x

I go along with a dibble to make it easier then shove the garlic in and rake it over. (yes pointy end up)

old-dibbles-from-janeaustensworld.wordpress.com_.jpg

Homer":gq3ch1mc said:
I need to find a "secret weapon" like that. After a day of cracking garlic my hands are so stiff and cramped I can hardly move them. :x

It is hard on the fingers and hands---
I got 2 more 5 gal buckets of sets ready for this morning, that should complete the "German Extra Hardy" then all that is left to plant is "California late pink"
-- wish you luck with your planting...

Dug a few samples out after work last night and the Red Toch and Early Italian Red are coming out this weekend. They both have 5-6 burned down leaves and the bulbs look ready. The skin is starting to get thinner so here we go.

The German Red has another week or maybe two but will have to watch. They only have 2-3 leaves burnt down. Our heat the last couple weeks has really kicked things in gear.

cartoon_garlic_postcard-raa95448f56da4c2ba030d5e46a5c7d07_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

Latest posts

Back