Register

Fur mites

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

Fur mites

Post Number:#1  Unread postby AdamsFamilyFarm » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:15 pm

How do you treat fur mites?
Raising Californians for the kids to show as meat pens for 4H.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,876.00

Re: Fur mites

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm

ivermectin
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby lyndseyrk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 am

Yes, ivermectin. I've had great success using the 1% ivermectin injectable solution. I DO NOT INJECT IT, THOUGH. Give 0.2 cc by mouth for every 10 lbs of body weight (your average meat rabbit). You will need to give 3 doses, 2 weeks apart. So day 1, day 14, and day 28.
~ Lyndsey

Keller Rabbitry
Wheelersburg, Ohio

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,921.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Galadriel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Ivermectin, DEFINITELY!

__________ Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:55 pm __________

Mom used it on our rabbits and it worked perfectly.
Aspiring author of the Memory Wars series. In progress: Book 1 -- Escape.

http://mirrorofgaladriel.wordpress.com/ :book: :reading1: :reading2:

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Miss M » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 am

I used food-grade (can't be pool-grade) Diatomaceous Earth first, and it was working, but then we thought Pearl was pregnant. I didn't want the babies to be born breathing in a cloud of DE, so I tried the ivermectin.

What I got was Jeffers Ivermectin Paste 1.87%, oral for horses. I got it at the feed store for $5.99.

I squeezed a pea-sized amount onto the end of a popsicle stick, and then quickly smeared it onto the rabbit's lips. It seems they don't like having stuff on their lips, but can't do much about it with their paws, so they have to lick it off.

With Pearl, I had to get Ilovebunnies to get her into as much of a bunny trance as possible, then did a lightning-quick smear onto her lips.

One application for each bunny, then again 10 days later. If you suspect they are not eliminated 10 days after that, then a third and final dose. I did end up doing the third dose. You just have to be very cautious when you are dispensing it, that you do remember how small a pea is! The contents of the tube treat a horse up to 1,250 pounds, so you sure don't need much for a bunny!

The ivermectin is cheap, easy, quick, and not very labor-intensive, but you must be super careful. The DE is pricier, messy, takes more time, and labor-intensive, but is harmless. The DE has to be applied for a longer period of time. So it's just a matter of preference.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
Katduck

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Katduck » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Can you use Ivermectin on nursing rabbits?