Fur Mites

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
Okay so I've been absent mostly from the forums because I've been too sick for raising rabbits. I kept my faves as pets. At the moment, one of them has fur mites.

I've tried to keep her isolated from the rest as much as possible, feeding her last and such. She has the distinctive v-shaped look. I gave her Ivermectin in her water, cleaned her cage with Borax, and have been dusting her and her cage (and even her food recently) with food grade DE. Insofar none of it has worked. The mites went away for a little bit, then came back with a vengeance and I can't kill the things!! Mind you, this is GC Smith's Kit and she is five years old. I realize she is elderly and my normal option would be to put her down due to ongoing illness, but it is strangely hard when it's a pet? Ugh. Do I have any other options at this point?

Since she's not a meat rabbit why don't you use chemical insecticide for mites? They are pretty effective.

Ivermec should have worked if done right. Horse dewormer has ivermec in it, the kind that comes in a tube, a dab about the size of a grain of rice. Once a week for 3 weeks. When i brought my original females home i noticed they had them. The horse dewormer worked for mine without reactions.

i recommend squeezing the full tube out into a glass jar with an air tight lid. Mix the paste up really good so there are no hot & cold spots so to speak (sections with too much or not enough ivermec) get a teeny dab on a popsicle stick, seal the jar to keep it fresh and wipe the meds behind the front teeth. ***Some ppl have had bad experiences with ivermec, so read up on it first!!!***

ipoGSD":3r1pwoz8 said:
Mix the paste up really good so there are no hot & cold spots so to speak (sections with too much or not enough ivermec)

That seems to be a common misconception, since you are not the first person to advise mixing the paste, but most medications (including horse wormers) are made up in enormous batches, not per dose, so that isn't really necessary. The active ingredient is thoroughly distributed throughout the paste.

Back