fur mites??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandee

Reaction score
I just bought a Flemish Giant pedigree from a local reputable breeder.

he is missing all of his fur on the back of his neck, base of his ears, and coming around down to his throat area. and it's a bit flaky and a couple scratches from him scratching it.

the breeder thought it was just from him rubbing on his water bottle and assured me it wasn't fur mites.

I paid $100 for this rabbit and i'm kinda pissed, because all the pics online look like this *may* be it. I'm freaking out like I'm going to get them and my baby, too!

What do you do as a buyer of this rabbit? she knew i was a novice and we talked for a long time and found her very nice and helpful. I really don't think it's an intentional fleecing, ya know.
I just want to stay on good terms with her and I don't want to deal with this problem from the get go! especially, if it infects my other rabbits.
maybe, i need to just realize this is part of being a rabbit caretaker. but, I'm still a little sore about it.
do i have any recourse? I am broke and this was a huge purchase for me.

Dandee,
I would take that rabbit back to the "Breeder"
and demand my money back! The rabbit did not develop the problem overnite.
I am certain if that breeder is worth a Plug nickle He/She knew the rabbit had a problem.
I believe there are many that will pass a problem to the unsuspecting Novice
in an effort to make a $$$Buck$$$. They should have treated that rabbit themselves and
if it did not get better, sell it to the processor. No one should use sickly rabbits
in any breeding program. They most certainly should never be sold for anything but a "Blue Plate Special!
As always, JMPO. Find a reputable breeder to deal with!
Dennis, C.V.R. [That really Busts my Buffers!]

Fur mites are treatable. You need to decide if you want to keep it and treat it or try to return it. They will not infect you and your baby, but they will spread to your other rabbits. You could also contact the breeder and say that it looks like fur mites after all and ask for help in treating it. She may have the appropriate meds on hand.

Be super cautious if you ever think about doing business with this person again. Next time it might be something more serious.

thanks you guys. I talked to her and we're going to wait over the weekend and see on Monday.

She is a reputable gal and is being helpful.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 pm __________<br /><br />Dennis, thank you for directing me to your site. I had searched fur mites earlier and everything I found seemed much more dire than your site.

I feel like I can DO something other than take him to the vet to get the treatment.

You do have a decision to make. If you are sure the rabbit is worth $100 or more without fur mites, you might elect to keep him and treat him. If your answer to that was not a very quick, unequivocal "YES", then I think I'd try to return it.

However, I have a hard time believing that a reputable breeder who has been in the business for a good while would not know this rabbit had fur mites, unless she's just absolutely never seen it or heard what it looks like. If I had a rabbit losing fur like that, I wouldn't sell it unless I knew for sure something was not wrong. And even then, I couldn't go asking $100 for it! She says it's from rubbing against the water bottle? Maybe he was rubbing on the water bottle to soothe the itching.

And like Maggie said, be very careful dealing with this breeder again.

I wrote a post about fur mite treatment I've used in your other thread about greens, http://rabbittalk.com/post11477.html#p11477.<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 am __________<br /><br />Nice site, Dennis!

Glad she is being helpful, but I'd still be very cautious in dealing with her again.

ya, know, she did douse him with some flea powder, 'just in case' it was. But, I was so excited and overwhelmed, I didn't think much about it.

Today, it looks a million times better! yesterday, the site was really red and angry looking. Today, not red at all and seems a bit milder.

So good!

it didn't do any kind of a V pattern.

I put a drop of melaleuca, lavender, and helichrysum diluted with fractionated coconut oil, for any kind of dermititis, infection, mites (pure melaleuca stops lice from feeding and is more effective than DEET), calming and regeneration. I did that once for a day for only two days. The first day it looked better. the next, a ton better. today, no dandruff at all and hair is growing back already! wounds are almost healed.

He's a gorgeous, happy biggun! I lubber him so much :)
I've never shown an animal at a fair before, but, I'm considering showing him to get his 3rd leg. His whole ancestry are grand champs and nice pedigree. He's a steel gray.(not a single fawn or sandy in his pedigree). I'm learning a ton about him and variety. still learning the terms ;) He's molting right now, but has a stunning, coat. not 100% sure, but i think it fits the SOP.

Was thinking of sireing him out? what do you all think?

__________ Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:18 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:21 pm __________<br /><br />How long do you start to see if any other animals have been or will be infected by fur mites?

I see no signs on any of the others. And, they had all shared spaces (not together) and my unchanged clothes, before i thought it may be fur mites.

I Was thinking of siring him out? what do you all think?

Do you mean Loaning him out for Breeding to other peoples Rabbits/Does?
Not always a good idea, it is a good way to bring illness into your Herd.
Be sure that you inspect both the Doe and your Buck prior to the breeding.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. [Dennis]

How long do you start to see if any other animals have been
or will be infected by fur mites?
They will probably show signs within a few days.
You might want to treat the whole herd when you treated the first one.
Oh well, I would just keep my eyes open. [Dennis]

I see no signs on any of the others. And, they had all shared spaces
(not together) and my unchanged clothes, before i thought it may be fur mites.
Do what you feel is right/necessary. The treatment won't hurt them.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Back