Fur mites survive on human blood?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently treating my rabbits since they have walking dandruff and even though they are outside and I tried to be careful I have one bite on my leg and see some on me.

I can't find much related to humans and them. Can they jump or only crawl? If I keep the rabbits outside like always can any mites inside breed and reproduce off my blood alone? I don't have any pets indoors.

I also read something about only living 10 days off people because they aren't able to lay eggs on us.....but what if the eggs laid fall off indoors can the cycle continue?
Some of the things look transparent and golden in color more plump around. Now I see a few I think are them that look skinny longer and all black. When squished they leave a dark mark where golden colored don't.
I hope this is the right place to put this.
Thanks!

I don't believe they can survive and reproduce on human blood alone, and they cannot jump.

Just keeping washing up with soap and water after handling the rabbits.

Is there any way to get pictures of these different creatures?

Zass":1xetcuk6 said:
I don't believe they can survive and reproduce on human blood alone, and they cannot jump.

Just keeping washing up with soap and water after handling the rabbits.

Is there any way to get pictures of these different creatures?
THANKS!!!! :D I will try. I noticed the black super skinny thing (4x longer than it is skinny) crawl on the fur of my white one while DE bath so I just squished it before it could escape. I should have had tape ready.

The golden honey colored things that I THINK are earlier life cycles I will try to next time I feel them on me I never see them on the rabbits or my floor.
Really I don't notice any bites or red marks on me and after the flea invasion (3yrs ago) I am paranoid of a reoccurrence.

I will try for a good pic and now that my microscope came in the mail I should be able to tell if its something like a scab on me or an actual mite. Just a pocket microscope with 20x zoom so nothing fance but just what I need.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Latest posts

Back