fur came off!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would need more info on your procedure. The only time I had that happen was when I was soaking thawing pelts waiting for the alum to come, and it was a few days late, and the water caused the hide to slip.

Fleshed way to hard and took off the hair roots I guarantee it. Rabbit hides require little to no fleshing. My fleshing tool for thin hided animals like rabbits is a DULL fillet knife. When I say dull I mean would have to try to cut yourself with it dull. Unless the rabbit was especially fat the only fleshing that needs to be done is under the arm pits and around the skirt area of the pelt (the bottom of the pelt). A large spoon shapened slightly makes a great lil fleshing tool for rabbits/muskrats.<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm __________<br /><br />
TMTex":3bhh5856 said:
That would be some good info. I want to remove the fur from the pelts and make doggie chew toys. Can you elaborate on what you did?
If you flesh the hide until you can see the hair though the flesh side all the hair will fall out.

you can get it to slip off before or during the curing step, but I've never done it on purpose. the dogs ate the hides but now I wish I had continued the process to see how the leather turned out.

We don't use any kind of tool to flesh rabbit hides, just for that reason. We just peel the stuff off. Also, the water temperature can cause fur slip too. If the water is too warm, the fur will slip.

DonnerSurvivor":2lytpp22 said:
Fleshed way to hard and took off the hair roots I guarantee it. Rabbit hides require little to no fleshing. My fleshing tool for thin hided animals like rabbits is a DULL fillet knife. When I say dull I mean would have to try to cut yourself with it dull. Unless the rabbit was especially fat the only fleshing that needs to be done is under the arm pits and around the skirt area of the pelt (the bottom of the pelt). A large spoon shapened slightly makes a great lil fleshing tool for rabbits/muskrats.

I thought some of the reasons for fleshing was to get rid of as much of the bacteria causing stuff as possible and because with more "flesh" removed the hide becomes softer.

The alum takes care of the bacteria, or whatever you are using, nothing much can live in the solution. Those hides are so thin, pulling off more than the thinnest layer removes most of the leather.

Is it possible that the hide was just warm for too long and bacteria ate away at the epidermis?
That's the most usual cause of hair slippage.

It can start up in a remarkably short amount of time.(hours on a hot day)

Anyone wanting to know how to do this on purpose (and still be dog safe), just leave the pelt in warm water for a few days, the hair will eventually fall out, but it might stink.

Maybe 3-4 days, in the middle of November. But the pelts were frozen, so no idea wether they were even stored properly to begin with.

Back