Funny how things can work out.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
about 1.5 months ago I sent two bunnies to the rabbit rescue.

The gal had given me a couple of meat rabbits to home/to use however I saw fit, as they were bunnies simply not suited to a pet home.

So in return I gave her a couple of sweet-tempered but unsuitable to use for meat production/show stock bunnies.

One was a runt. The other had no ears. Both were adopted within the week "to a loving, indoor, passed scrutiny pet home".

I delivered a meat buck to it's home and said as I saw her other rabbits.....OH!!! There's no ears and sweetie! However did you manage to get them?

She said WHO???? What???

I said No ears and Sweetie, those two bunnies there. I sent them to the rabbit rescue about six weeks ago... I thought they were in a pet home. They are from Shade and...oh.. which doe?? Thought Violet but was Shar.

I learned the following:
Both ended up being sent to a farm within two weeks of being in their new home farm person's friend said "oh I got these two bunnies for you, thought they'd be great for breeding at your farm", but the farm had no use for rabbits at the time so...sent them to The lady who has just bought my meat buck.

So she asked if she could buy the pedigrees from me.
She has asked is she should use them for breeding.

I've said I don't know.
See if they hit 6 lbs. If they don't, then don't use them for breeding.
If they do...the no ears one ONLY breed in the cool or cold months.
I fully expect the no ears one to gain the minimum harle size, but the runt I don't.

I told her quite bluntly I didn't send them to the rescue to be sent to a breeder home as I didn't consider them breeding quality in anyway shape or form.

Just goes to show that rabbits take turns in life one doesn't expect.

Next time I get a no ears kit...I'll cull it rather than risk it going to an uninformed home that LIES about the true purpose for it.

The small kit. Time will tell what happens to it.

Neither is where I expect kits to be for their age and breed... so I didn't recommend breeding either. Leaves the lady with a tough choice. What to do with rabbits her daughter loves but she can ill afford to keep unproductive animals...but if needed she'll work to find them pet homes. Just disappointed overall in the outcome is how both of us feel.

one of the reasons my breeder and I decided we will not sell anything we think should not be bred. All of my pet sales will be animals that I could see breeding (even if they are not top show quality) if I had the space to keep them. Anything else is going to the freezer. She had a similar story where she sold rabbits for meat pens, or to 4 H kids, who in turn sold them at a later date for a higher price as show rabbits.

If I don't want it bred, it won't leave this house.

Back