fried liver

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobie":26lh586i said:
Is it ok to freeze livers till I butcher again in a week or so in order to have enough for a meal?

Yes, short term freezing should be fine. I wouldn't freeze the organ meats for a long time, however. I think there would be loss of texture and flavour.

Thank you MaggieJ, I will be butchering 4 more this Tues. or Wed., so things should work out fine!

Hobie

Miss M":3loh4dxj said:
Over grits! :p I haven't done that in a while! :p Thanks for the idea!

Oooooooo never thought of that! And I have a bowl of lovely livers and bits sitting in the fridge right now! :cool:

I've yet to get past simple rabbit liver pate. The stuff is so good...I'm really glad that I'm the only one in the house who has tasted it. I don't have to share my livers with anyone! :D

Still can't bring myself to eat liver Saved them from last butchering think I will just give them to my beagles.

I had rabbit liver with onions , rice and pinto beans last night for supper. Delicious! I sent 5 to freezer camp earlier this week and this was my reward. They're well worth trying before feeding to the dogs.

I just cooked liver for my hubby. He gave it an A+ so I'll be saving livers from now on! I'm still too nerves to try it...

Gonna have to do up some liver and onions. The dogs won't get them this time. The livers are so big and clean, I hate to see it go to waste. I like most livers though, so I am sure I can do it. A little wine might taste good with it too. I have 3 I need to cull anyhow.

Mmmmmmm, best liver I ever had!!! I use just a but if garlic salt when I saute them!

And no one else gets the liver as that is MY treat after doing the butchering :p

I prefer chicken livers cooked just done. When overcooked they're not that good. Rabbit livers are much larger and is too much for me. Also they seem not as sweet to me as chicken livers.

I'll give this a bump...
"With all that good muscle meat on an animal, why eat the guts?" That's what I say. :yes:
If it's ground up in a sausage, I'll eat it, but please don't tell me it's in there.
Gizzards? There is no way that big rubber clam inside that bird is something eatable!
I know how to clean and process them, but YOU can eat it. Not for me! :sick:

My wife, on the other hand, takes the bag out of the body cavity of every store bought bird that sees our kitchen, and cooks the contents in a little olive oil. "Turkey guts" (my label) is her traditional Thanksgiving morning breakfast, as a matter of fact.
Home grown chickens and rabbits?... If we give one away, the guts are never included. Even if they are requested.

I guess, after reading this thread, I MIGHT have to taste a rabbit liver... Maybe just a tiny, little bite. :hmm:

karebru":1ukxtrcy said:

I guess, after reading this thread, I MIGHT have to taste a rabbit liver... Maybe just a tiny, little bite. :hmm:

images
Around here we call that bait!

I'm also guilty of giving all the organs to the dogs...I save the heart, lungs, kidney, spleen, and liver, chop them all up and the dogs get the whole mix once a week. I might be convinced to stash some of that liver away for myself now...

We love liver, and have it quite often, Rabbit liver is a favorite, - when we cook rabbit liver and kidneys- I am the selfish piggy who tries to pick out all the kidneys and eat them before anyone else can get to them. there is an old saying-- "eat a part, help a part"...

Back