Free Range or Cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delicatessy

Reaction score
I have a pet mini rex buck. He used to be a house rabbit, litter trained and everything, but then he grew up and wasn't as good using the litter box :roll: I tried caging him a little bit but my cage was super small (19 inch x 19 inch) so felt bad keeping him in there. He was leash trained and I would sometimes let him play outside and would leave the door open and he would come back inside all by himself (preferred the comfy house to the outdoors). Lately I just kicked him out, no cage or anything. I wanted to breed him so got him a girlfriend. Course, she is young so I keep her caged and separate outdoors. He seems to stick around her cage all day and doesn't run off. I can pet him but he will take off if he thinks I'm gonna pick him up. Now, after that long introduction...

I will be going away for a few days for a wedding. I have someone who is willing to take care of my pets if I bring them to his place but that means there won't be a doe to keep my bunny around. Should I cage him for those few days or just let him continue free ranging in my backyard and pray he doesn't disappear? He's been doing the wild and free thing for a few weeks now.

I agree: cage him. He'd be liable to run off without the doe to keep him there.
If you have any other pets around that roam the same ground as him, there's also a chance he could attack the pet if he's feeling especially rowdy. My free range buck attacked my dog out of the blue, and it was either him or a different black freeranger that got frustrated he couldn't breed the rabbits I was messing with and would have a go at my legs and even leaped to kick me on the hip.

Nope, only pet running free in the yard. I'm a bit worried though because anytime I had caged outdoor pets, something would come along, rip the cage open, and kill all my babies. If they were out and living the good life, they survived :wall:
Currently the cages are in a shed like structure but since weather's getting colder, everyone will probably come inside just so I don't have to deal with frozen water bottles. I have also recently fixed up the gaps in my fence so that reduces chance of dogs immensely. I think a chihuahua was our predator because I saw one in my fenced backyard once. But I have also seen raccoons on my rooftop...

Your buck isn't going to run off while you are away. That is his home and his potential mate is there. However, if you are concerned about predators, I would put him in a safe place during your absence. One of my bucks lives outdoors with raccoons. I think raccoons only tackle rabbits and poultry when they are in a cage. They reach in the cage and start eating whatever they can pull out :shock: If you cage your buck outdoors, make sure the mesh size on the cage is too small for a raccoon or mink (or rat) to reach through/get in. If the buck stays out, he might fall prey to dogs, foxes, coyotes, or birds of prey ... depending on where you are.

I have those thick electronic cages? things big box retailers lock their valuable electronics behind. Nice strong stuff that nothing could tear apart. problem is the holes are about 2 inch by 2 inch. rabbit can't pop out but something could certainly reach in... risk it or not? <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm __________ <br /><br /> I have those thick electronic cages? things big box retailers lock their valuable electronics behind. Nice strong stuff that nothing could tear apart. problem is the holes are about 2 inch by 2 inch. rabbit can't pop out but something could certainly reach in... risk it or not?

Back