[almost] "free" baby saver cage upgrade

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To convert a standard cage to a "baby saver" cage, I have not seen this suggested, and maybe I just missed it,
When I was replacing the floor on set of cages recently I got to thinking about how there are usually
only small areas that are rusted through and much of the wire bottom is actually still usable,
especially if I am just cutting 4" wide strips to attach along the bottom of each side to save those babies
whose mommas are not smart enough to have them in the box :(
The only "cost" is the time spent and the "j" clips to attach the strip to the side.

The other "trick" I discovered, almost accidentally, as I was replacing the floor on a used cage that I had bought for "cheap".
I was using the standard 30" deep floor wire but the cages were only 26" deep. Instead of cutting the excess off,
I made the bottom 4" wider than the cage & cut the corner piece so that I could fold the wire up all the way around the cage & VOILA!
I had a baby saver cage. This got me thinking that in the future I would make ALL my cages 26" deep when using the 30" floor wire and make just them longer
so the area would be adequate. I actually like the shallower cages. It's easier to reach into the back and more room along the front for wider doors, etc.

Latest posts

Back