Freaking out.. chubbys mouth has a growth

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Went out just a few minutes ago to check to see if my rabbits had water vs ice. I usually give baby carrots on top of their dish but this time i happened to hold it for my favorite rabbit, Chubby.

I noticed he was having a hard time eating it. I grabbed him and seen his teeth were messed up. A top one is broken and a bottom one is, im assuming he was fighting with the buck next to him and biting the wire?

I brought him in planned to lightly dremel the 2 that arent broken, to hopefully make it so he can eat better. (Has no problem with pellets but the carrot was really hard for him)

Thats when i noticed he has a bump/growth inside his mouth behind his front top teeth.

It wasnt bloody at all.. is it possible maybe its old scar tissue. Like maybe the other buck Chips bit Chubby thru the cage while Chubby maybe was trying to bite him? (Chubby bites cage wire, Chips bites him at same time kind of thing) hoping im explaining what im thinking

Or... could it be... a bad growth? He is super young, around a year. Give or take a few months.

I checked everyone elses mouth, all perfect teeth and no weird bumps.

I was even wondering if that growth is whats causing him to not be able to eat his carrot like everyone else does. (He definitely eats them but its slowww) because this couldn't have happened over night and i give carrots almost daily. His is always gone but where its cold, i dont usually stick around and watch.

Im really worried.. chubby is my favorite. He is my only bunny that always comes to greet me. Will stay right there as long as i keep petting him. I can do anything to him, even dremel his nails without him kicking. he NEVER kicks, just lets me carry him around like a ragdoll.

I plan to watch his weight, keep a close eye on his teeth (hoping they just broke somehow and its not malocclusion) and a close eye on that growth. If things worsen, I'll bring him to a vet in vt who is great with rabbits, dr bruce in rutland. I have fam in vt so traveling a couple states for a rabbit wouldnt be too bad. I could visit my family

Anyway.... opinions please? I know "C" can strike at any age.. but how common is it at about a year old? :(

The tooth on the left of the photo is crooked, therefore malocclusion, not a good breeder.

With care, he can still make a great pet rabbit if you can afford a nonproductive rabbit in your herd.

As for the growth behind the teeth, it could just be irritation from eating the carrot. You might try withholding carrots for a few days and see if it clears up. Possibly add cider vinegar to his water to help with inflammation/infection.

Does look like its genetic and not pulled, pulled teeth are pulled outward or pushed backward. This one is to the side, no way he could grab wire and pull his teeth like that.

The place behind might be from that as well. He'd be okay for a pet (if you can get the teeth trimmed up and keep up with it). There may be a tooth spur causing the issue behind. If he's very special to you, trip to the vet that deals with bad teeth frequently is a good idea. He may end up needing surgery to remove if intend to keep for pet.

i would not pet him out... pet rabbits with teeth issues often don't do well... I'd have to wonder if the growth behind is causing the teeth to not be straight. if he's worth it to you, might be worth getting x-rayed to see what's going on there. In my herd, he'd be snake or raptor food.

Well Chubbys mouth does not look any better. If you're looking at the pics of his mouth the top right tooth is gone! I see the peg tooth but nothing at all of the other one :(

I still cant help wonder if hes not doing it by cage biting because there's another buck right next to him.

I checked his mouth about a week ago and it didn't look any worse or better. Today when i fed them i saw his carrot not eaten :'( i was also deworming everyone so when it was his turn, thats when i noticed.

Looks like my sweetest rabbit will have to be put down sooner rather than later. :( whats so odd is, he is the only one of my rabbits with messed up teeth (well front teeth, cant see the back ones) and trust me.. i keep checking everyones teeth.

-- Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:38 pm --

This is what i mean by the bucks being side by side.
https://youtu.be/LTnTKm3BqcI

Its just not fair. I love and spoil my rabbits. Good greens, good food, toys, fresh willow/pear branches, lots of yard play time and inside time with us.

If i had the money I'd bring him to the vets for xrays and even surgery if he needed it. Unfortunately work is seasonal. (Asphalt work) so i cant do that right now

Who knows..... maybe his tooth will grow back and be fine? I doubt it but i can hope..

-- Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:43 pm --

chubby @ 8 days old <br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:46 pm -- <br /><br /> https://youtu.be/6HeikI_vHi4

He had my heart since day 1 :(

Latest posts

Back