Found a roach in the feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoPrairie

Reaction score
Can I add food grade DE to the feed to keep them out? This is the first time I've seen this, and I want it to be the last.

I've sprinkled the dark grey DE on the ground around the feed bins, but I'm thinking maybe I can add the human grade (white) DE to the feed itself. Thoughts?

Any food grade DE will work. I add it to all of my animal feed, and long term food storage of grains for human consumption. It is commonly added for this purpose commercially, and is also used as an anti-caking agent. Perfectly safe. :)

Pool grade is toxic! (Where is the skull and crossbones smilie when you need it?)

Also, one of our does is possibly pregnant, so if anyone knows if DE is not good for pregnant does, I would appreciate info on that too.

Thanks in advance!<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:52 am __________<br /><br />Thanks Mama! Is it ok for pregnant does? Are there specific measurements,or can I add a cup or so to the 40ish pounds that is left in the box?

I am using it at a rate of 1/2 cup to 50lbs. I had bumped it up to a cup, but the dust clouds when I fed dissuaded me from adding quite that much! All of mine get it, pregnant or not. No problems thus far! I also fed it to a pregnant mare.

People can take it too, at the rate of 1-2Tbsp per day in a liquid such as water, juice, smoothies, etc. It is supposed to be effective against parasites. I know it kills any bug with an exoskeleton.

If the gray stuff is Red Earth, then that's still food grade, it just has a high clay content. I prefer the pure white, but harder to get and more money here.

Lol! Have you ever tried to mix DE in water? Impossi-freaking-ble!
At least, I could never get it to mix...

I rather it say "food grade" before feeding it.

ChickiesnBunnies":v4hqj1g5 said:
Lol! Have you ever tried to mix DE in water? Impossi-freaking-ble!
At least, I could never get it to mix...

I rather it say "food grade" before feeding it.
Red earth does say food grade on the bag.

I have some white which was given to me by a friend, which I believe is the "human" food grade. I also have the dark grey kind, which says "food codex grade" or something like that.

CalicoPrairie":32pe5v6f said:
I have some white which was given to me by a friend, which I believe is the "human" food grade. I also have the dark grey kind, which says "food codex grade" or something like that.

Food grade is food grade, it's not specific to humans or animals. Like I said, they are the same, the gray just has a higher clay content, calcium bentonite, http://www.redlakeearth.com/faq.html, which is removed from the white, and that makes the white more expensive. You can take either one, and use either one. The clay does add more trace minerals.

I have a box of Pure Earth-white, and a bag of Red Earth. I don't care for either, it taste like plaster, no matter what you do.

I got mine at the Pet Store I get my supply. But you could probably get it cheaper on-line.

Did my whole yard with it. Plus if I have to, can sprinkle it in my buns food.

Karen

i get red earth from TSC. I used to order pure earth from gardeniq.com, but this time i got it from eBay. 10lb for $28 including shipping on ebay, vs $12 for 40lb at TSC.

Back