Found a rabbit in the street. What do I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njg1225

Reaction score
Hi

I've just found a white rabbit playing with the traffic and I've picked him up and brought him home to try and reunite him with his owner.

I have no idea about rabbits at all. He's in the garden at the moment and he seems to be eating the grass. Is that ok for a rabbit? Today is a bank holiday where I live and consequently all the shops are closed until tomorrow. Will he be OK just eating the lawn and some water? Will I need to feed him anything else? If I do, it will have to be something that I already have in my kitchen cupboards

thanks!

If he's been running loose for a while then yard grass is fine for him, and hopefully he's not gorging himself and is also eating weeds like plantain and knotweed which are better for him.

If you have any hay handy or small branches/canes of willow or raspberry or rose it can help add fibre to his diet and avoid funny poops from all the fresh grass

Please keep in mind that a rabbit can dig a 3 foot tunnel in less than an hour and if he decides he decides to leave your yard he could quickly dig out

Dood":3hrfy7z4 said:
If he's been running loose for a while then yard grass is fine for him, and hopefully he's not gorging himself and is also eating weeds like plantain and knotweed which are better for him.

If you have any hay handy or small branches/canes of willow or raspberry or rose it can help add fibre to his diet and avoid funny poops from all the fresh grass

Please keep in mind that a rabbit can dig a 3 foot tunnel in less than an hour and if he decides he decides to leave your yard he could quickly dig out

I have no idea how long he has been loose. I'm guessing not long because he is all white and still very clean. He seems to be enjoying the grass - I just really hope that none of my plants are poisonous for him. The only branches that I have available are lemon tree. None of the ones that you mentioned. And no hay - I live in the city.

I had no idea about the digging, but we should be okay. There is concrete on the other side of the walls so he wouldn't be able to get through that.

I'm now having to deal with a sudden thunderstorm and torrential rain. I have no shelter prepared for him and he won't let me catch him!! He's taken shelter under a plant but I don't think it is keeping him completely dry. Poor thing!

Dood has given you good advice but I just want to add that if you have plain oatmeal in your kitchen (not instant or flavoured) you could offer him a handful of that. It is very digestible for rabbits and most of them like it. Don't give him greens like lettuce or cabbage. If he is not accustomed to them they can cause severe problems.

Even a cardboard box on its side would give him enough protection from the rain for now.

Hope you find his owner! :good-luck:

Unless he was dumped his home is probably within a radius of 5 or 6 houses. Ask the mailman if he's seen it before or if he knows who might be the owner.

They are pretty good at avoiding poisonous plants when given the option but if he eats too much of the richer plant life he could give himself some stomach trouble. Hay can help that if you can beg some from somewhere. The pet store stuff is crazy expensive. If you still can't lure him in to be caught when you find his home or decide to bring him inside you can see if any local shelter, vet, or specialty feral/stray cat spay group will loan you a trap. If he's used to a cage he will likely go right in for something tasty like oatmeal or if he's enjoying his all you can eat buffet a chunk of banana. Do not feed any other fruit. Rabbits don't do great with fruit but sometimes a little bit of the safer ones can help a situation.

Suddenly today I have no difficulty catching him. In fact he now runs up to me when I enter the garden. I guess he was just nervous yesterday.

Shops are open again today so I've been able to buy some more rabbit appropriate food although the lawn is still popular.

I was quite worried yesterday because it poured with rain all day and all night and i dont have appropriate shelter, but he seemed fine this morning.

Still no luck finding the owner, but I'm working on it!!

It's really terrific that you've taken this guy in and you've probably saved his life as many lost rabbits don't last very long on their own

:thankyou:

I just hope I find his owner soon. Nothing as yet. I'm going to put up some posters on lampposts and see what happens.

njg1225":1cajh6iu said:
I just hope I find his owner soon. Nothing as yet. I'm going to put up some posters on lampposts and see what happens.

Well where are you located??? I "might" have lost him. :mrgreen:

Post some pictures!!!

jimmywalt":2iebtrti said:
njg1225":2iebtrti said:

Post some pictures!!!

I'm in Spain!! A bit far I think.

I'm still confident that I will find his owner sooner later. It's only been just over one day that he is with me.

I tried to put up a photo yesterday but I couldn't work out how, I'll try again now <br /><br /> __________ Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:45 pm __________ <br /><br /> Hopefully you can see a picture of him now!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 22.42.56.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 22.42.56.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 1,906
njg1225":3nrlx5w4 said:
jimmywalt":3nrlx5w4 said:
njg1225":3nrlx5w4 said:

Post some pictures!!!

I'm in Spain!! A bit far I think.

I'm still confident that I will find his owner sooner later. It's only been just over one day that he is with me.

I tried to put up a photo yesterday but I couldn't work out how, I'll try again now

__________ Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:45 pm __________

Hopefully you can see a picture of him now!
Looks like a Red Eyed White netherland dwarf!!! What a cutie :D

Yes that's him!!!! He's a netherland dwarf. I lost him by the airport. He must have jumped on an airplane.

Could you please send him back to me. Thank you so much!!!

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> Thank you so much! He made it back home to us!!! :D

12.JPG
11.JPG
10.JPG

Latest posts

Back