found a chocolate cavy boar

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
YAY! chocolate is so hard to find. Nice, big self chocolate boar probably early in his 2nd year. I think I've only seen 1 other solid chocolate in my life. With my reds and creams I will get chocolates in a variety of shades. He does have some recessive color gene showing through. Probably nonextension so he's aabbEe. Cavy genes are messy and often don't give a clean even color when recessives are present. It should just mean he can throw reds and creams along with chocolates when bred to them.

I need to get something to show the size of this guy. He could be just american pet/show pig bred but he weighs right around 3lbs without too much excess fat. I can still find his shoulder blades which is where the males in particular pack on a fat pad when they start to get older/overweight. That would be the biggest regular pet guinea pig I've ever seen. There is a chance he has the cuy, peruvian meat lines, somewhere back there. The color would not be odd for such breeding either.

that's a nice big solid pig. I'd be happy to have him in my herd...he'd give my big girl tempy a run for her money. :)

Wow he IS a big boy! I'd def guess meat genes in his history. So cool, what an awesome find. Can't wait to see what he produces.

The biggest I've had previously was about 2.5lbs. Ones a little bigger aren't rare but usually they average more around 2lbs sometimes down to 1.5lbs. Much like some other animals those bred heavily for a certain color, fur type, etc... may run smaller. There have been people breeding regular american pet descendants for size without including the cuy lines and it is possible to get them more consistently on the larger end. Running across a 3lb or more one randomly is uncommon though. He pretty much runs the length of my forearm when I carry him.

Latest posts

Back