Foster Kit... crust under the chin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlt

Reaction score
I had one foster kit die during the night a couple days ago. I didn't think too much of it, since it was kind of a risky situation anyway. But I did notice that there was some caked crusty stuff under the chin.

Anyway, went out to kind of help one of the other foster kits get his eyes open (one eye seemed to have a nestbox eye problem) and noticed that he too had a similar looking crust under his chin... just kind of matted under there.

Any likely candidates? It was a fairly dark yellow color.

The teeth looked fine, I almost just wondered if it was milk or drool, but none of the kits actually born to this doe have it... and they didn't have it when I put them in there...

There's just a little stuff like often is stuck to a kit's nose right after I take the nest box out... could just be matted milk. These foster kits have longer fur than my straight new zealand kits so maybe that's all it is.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 pm __________<br /><br />had one other foster kit with a distended anus and and big poop ball hanging out... used a warm wet cloth to remove and there was some mucus present behind it...

She looks a lot better now, but is this the mucoid enteropathy I hear about? The kits that were actually born in this litter seem fine, I wonder if it is a genetic weakness in the doe? The Sire was the same, but I couldn't repeat the breeding if I wanted to, I had to put the doe down 10 days ago or so.

This is beginning to sound like a problem. How old are the kits and how old were they when you had to foster them. I can't remember all the details of each person's rabbits, so please give a bit more background.

They were only a few days old when their mother broke her back. I fostered to my NZR Doe that had a two week old litter, as the does that kindled at the same time had 12 kits.

The two that are left are a little over 2 weeks old. There were five originally, two froze by hopping out of the nest box. One died and had that crust under his chin, but no other visible issues.

It sounds to me as though their rough start is counting against them. I don't see what more you can do, except keep them clean and hope for the best. Watch out for that pasted anus though... It can kill a kit and must be so uncomfortable. Perhaps because her own kits are older, the doe does not do as much cleaning on any of the kits as is necessary for the younger ones.

yeah, I just checked her and seems like pooping normal size (for their age) now and less swollen and red etc.

looking more lively as well, so maybe she will pull through.

Latest posts

Back