Register

Formula feeding baby bunnies *PICS & VIDS*

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,198.00

Re: Formula feeding baby bunnies *PICS & VIDS*

Post Number:#76  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

There is no such thing as canned condensed goat's milk in the area I'm in, but I do have goat's milk from the dairy section. I'm feeding 3xs a day--is this sufficient?
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Post Number:#77  Unread postby jimmywalt » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:32 am

I'm wondering if there is ANY other variation of this recipe? Over the past year we have probably tried to feed 8 kits from different litters and none of them have EVER wanted to drink this mixture. They try to push it away with their hands, or just don't open their mouths. We get the canned goats milk from TSC and the eggs we use are fresh!

I've seen the same recipe on Youtube and in every video the babies suck down the mixture like it's the best stuff on earth.

Why does it never work for us? We also make sure it's warm (not hot), just like a baby bottle.

HELP!!!!!!! Thank you!

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,796.00

Post Number:#78  Unread postby Oscar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 am

Ok so I have egg yolks, corn syrup, and a nun experienced doe, I don't know if anyone has asked this question yet but would regular condensed milk work?

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#79  Unread postby Miss M » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Oscar wrote:Ok so I have egg yolks, corn syrup, and a nun experienced doe, I don't know if anyone has asked this question yet but would regular condensed milk work?

I would not recommend using regular condensed milk or evaporated milk, because they are cow's milk. Cow's milk is more difficult for baby rabbits to digest, and frequently causes diarrhea, which is very dangerous for baby bunnies.

When I found myself without evaporated goat's milk once, I just used egg yolk, corn syrup, and a little water to thin it. I just didn't want to take the chance.

You can try holding her in the nestbox (this may require help) with the kits. We did this once with a doe who couldn't figure out what to do. It took a few times and a lot of hands, but she finally figured out that she was supposed to feed these little things.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Previous