Register

Formula feeding baby bunnies *PICS & VIDS*

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Re: Formula feeding baby bunnies *PICS & VIDS*

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote: Loved hearing the kid's laughter- that was the best part. :D

They were holding the bunnies that weren't being fed at the time, too! So they had lots of fun! :lol:
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,575.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am

That's okay, I think it frankly teaches children that even meat animals need a little TLC once in a while! :)

I'm gonna remember that formula for if I ever have a failure-to-thrive litter or a really weak runt. :D

__________ Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am __________

Gonna try your formula recipe...how much per kit should newborns get???
Wintertime Rabbitry: Zwergschecken/Dwarf Papillons
Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the Western Michigan Rabbit Breeders Association, the Forest City Rabbit Breeders Club, and the Michigan State Rabbit Breeders Association.

https://klawrence5995.wixsite.com/wintertime

Formerly Kyle@theHeathertoft

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:57 am

Until Miss M gets back to you, just feed until they have a slightly rounded belly, but not too taut.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Okay...for their first feed I let 'em take as much as they would and when they stopped, so did I. They didn't take much but then again they are so, so tiny!!!

I know they have a very slim chance but I'm really hoping they make it. I was so relieved when the first one figured out how to nurse the bottle! Talk about a moment of pure relief!!!!
Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the Western Michigan Rabbit Breeders Association, the Forest City Rabbit Breeders Club, and the Michigan State Rabbit Breeders Association.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Good! It's a start, anyway. I saw in the other thread that you are keeping them in a carrier. Might it not be a better idea to leave the nest in Sparkle's cage, so that if and when her milk comes in she can hop in and feed them?

I think that when I was flipping my doe Feather to feed back in December that she wasn't letting her milk down. It might be too traumatic for some does and they are unable to relax. I wish I had known to "trance" her- there were a couple incidences of flying popples (or "falling with style") when she kicked the poor things across the room. :x

Good luck, Kyle!

I see you are circumventing your "Hiatus" quite effectively with Wi-Fi! :lol:
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm

The basement is chilly and they were a little colder than I'd have liked. Today's temperatures are in the seventies (THANK GODS because I hate the heat) so it's like...60 degrees down there and they were cold to the touch when I grabbed 'em to feed 'em. Not good!!!

__________ Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 pm __________

LOL and yeah, there's wifi everywhere!!! I had no idea it was this easy to just...hop on a public network. :lol:

Post Number:#22  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I forgot they are in the basement. I agree that is too chilly for unfed kits.
Victory Garden Rabbits

BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby AnnClaire » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Kyle,

Yes, 60 is too cold for such young kits, if nothing else, add some dryer lint to the nest for warmth.

As for flipping a doe, I place the kits in a small box next to me on the couch, have the doe facing you and gently, slowly roll her onto her back on your lap and stroke her face from nose to ears until you see her eyes relax, then gently move one of her front feet and if it stays where you move it, she is tranced. The more often you do this, the easier it is to trance a rabbit, and the longer they will stay in the trance.

Then, and only then should you put ONE kit on her tummy and watch to see if it latches on and feeds. If it does, place one or two others and see if they latch on and nurse. Very young kits will nurse one teat for a bit, then move to another like a little merry-go-round. I would not be surprised to find out that this is natural to rabbits as a way for the doe to cause the kits to be active. Activity helps their insides work better and helps build muscle tone.
cheers - AnnClaire

The following user would like to thank AnnClaire for this post
MaggieJ, Piper

BunnyBucks: 248.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Lightnin1960 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:18 pm

I noticed the formula says "Cane" and the video says "Corn" I've heard of Corn but not Cane syrup could you please tell me which you meant

Thank you

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Kyle@theHeathertoft wrote:Gonna try your formula recipe...how much per kit should newborns get???

Oh, I didn't see this... I guess because I haven't been on much the last few days, until today.

I think for the newborns it was basically until they wouldn't feed anymore, or until they looked like they'd swallowed a marble, whichever came first. So... tummy nice and round, but not too big. It is pretty subjective.

Lightnin1960 wrote:I noticed the formula says "Cane" and the video says "Corn" I've heard of Corn but not Cane syrup could you please tell me which you meant

Thank you

I had not even noticed that! I imagine you could use cane, but it does have a strong flavor. Light corn syrup is very flavor-neutral, and that is what I used.

Rabbits do like blackstrap molasses, which is strong, so I don't think you would have too much trouble with cane syrup if you were to try it. It is made from sugar cane, so is very common around here.
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 248.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Lightnin1960 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:11 am

Oh ok Thank you

BunnyBucks: 11,295.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby ZRabbits » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks so much for posting those vids. Absolute loved them. Listening to the children and also seeing the bunnies eat. I'm surprised they didn't end up in the bowl. Already wrote down your recipe since I only have one doe and might have to go this root since she's a first timer.

Thanks again for the info.

Karen

BunnyBucks: 10,233.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Does it have to be evaporated goat milk or can it be regular goat milk. Or can we use a kitten formula even? I think I want to supplement this litter I have and see if her milk comes in better.

Post Number:#29  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:42 pm

tm_bunnyloft wrote:Does it have to be evaporated goat milk or can it be regular goat milk. Or can we use a kitten formula even?

Evaporated milk has more concentrated nutrients. You could add KMR to the goat's milk to make up for that, using the goat's milk in place of water. Goat milk replacer is probably a better option than KMR though, since kittens are carnivores and bunnies are not.

__________ Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:42 pm __________

When I raised orphan kittens, KMR would give them diarrhea, so I added goat's milk to the formula to counteract that and firm the stools up.
Victory Garden Rabbits

BunnyBucks: 10,233.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:36 am

Ok. I have goat milk replacer that I can use. I will try that is Good Shot doesn't give them a good meal.

PreviousNext