Force feeding babys

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I may attempt to syringe feed T2 and Calis kits. Cali isn't producing enough milk and T2's kits are too young to go solid.

How many cc's a day would you give?

thx

using raw milk....

I would feed until their tummys look like they swallowed a grape.

__________ Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 pm __________

Oh, shoot, I guess I should go back and refresh my memory on their ages before handing out advice.

ETA: I can't find their ages, could you refresh my memory?

=/ Don't use raw milk. There's a much better formula out there...

I'll hunt it down in a bit. One of the ingredients is colostrum, however... Since you're in washington (still not sure where, LOL!), I might as well add in that it's one of the best things you can do for kits, is to have that in there. We dropped $40 on a bunch of tablets, and I have well over half left. (I only had to hand feed for two days, then the doe decided she'd be a mom again, and not attack them) Feels weird to say, but I could sell the rest to you for $15.

As far as the rest of the formula, let me go find it.

Fresh, whole goat milk - 1/2 cup
Kitten Milk Replacer (by PetAG is recommended, but I used the powdered PetSmart version just as well) - 1/2 cup
Freeze dried colostrum - 1.5 tablespoons
Heavy cream - 3 cc

SHAKE it all together, and let sit until all the powder is well absorbed. Then heat to roughly 105 degrees.

Amount to feed:
Newborn to one week - two feedings a day - 2.5 cc per feeding
One to two weeks - two feedings a day - 5 to 7 cc per feeding
Two to three weeks - two feedings a day - 7 to 13 cc per feeding
Three to six weeks - two feedings a day - 13 to 15 cc per feeding.

At the three to six week stage, you need to find a cecotroph doner, and start "force feeding" a mixture of that mixed with formula.

Let me know if I can help any more.

Latest posts

Back