For the curious (Graphic)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so we have two does here who were both under performers. Both who were were born last spring.

Doe#1 (top) First litter was scattered all over the wire. I warmed the ones I could and returned them, but she never nursed and I eventually found them all chilled to death. Second litter started with 5 kits, but dwindled down to two, as I culled any obviously starving kits to prevent suffering.

Doe#2 (bottom) Two litters of only 4 kits each. She was otherwise a good mother and might have come around if I'd given her another chance. (Both girls were fat.) Unfortunately, both does had nervous, jumpy tempers to go with their poor breeding records.

Anyway, the interesting part is the mammary tissue development. The doe who had only successfully nursed two kits had developed mammary tissue on only two teats!!! The rest of teats look like they'd belong to a virgin doe. :shock: So, her two kits wouldn't have been able to get milk from any but those two teats.

The doe who had nursed two small litters still had a fully developed milk supply, all 10 teats active. (As it should be.)

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Attachments

• for rt.jpg
    for rt.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 1,084
Interesting. Most of the non Himalayans I see only have 8 teats. My rabbits usually have 10, but rarely do they use all 10, usually 1 is without milk.
The two mammary glands on that top rabbit look to bigger compared to the bottom rabbit. Were they overcompensating to try to make up for that? Either way, doesn't look like something you'd want in your line.
Thanks for sharing this.

Back