Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought my sprouts home this weekend. They are just leaves almost out of the shells, the flax are so cute. I'm going to get some oats at the local store, since I've been told they will sprout better in the cold.<br /><br />__________ Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:48 am __________<br /><br />This is neat.
http://www.half-pinthomestead.com/FodderGallery.html

lissapell":271z5er7 said:
has anyone tried a heating pad instead of a light to quicken sprouting?

most of the new heating pads you get in stores auto shut off after 30 minutes, so that wouldn't work.

When I was little, I remember standing in a manure pile barefoot because it was so warm...but then someone told me what the wonderfully warm pile was. The thought makes me wonder if I could get faster winter growth by laying a sheet of plastic over a bed of horse poo and spreading the seeds on that. XD

Nyctra":28gkkwh1 said:
When I was little, I remember standing in a manure pile barefoot because it was so warm...but then someone told me what the wonderfully warm pile was. The thought makes me wonder if I could get faster winter growth by laying a sheet of plastic over a bed of horse poo and spreading the seeds on that. XD

Maybe, but I certainly am not bringing that into my house ;)

skysthelimit":3uv69m23 said:
Maybe, but I certainly am not bringing that into my house ;)
Nah, I meant outside on the ground. XD I'll only start the seeds in the house. Not sure how I'd keep the dog off it though...hmm. :/

Owlsfriend. Those are the sets im ordering. I am thinking to put a super small hole screen in the bottom to keep the seeds from washing out. Our I may just splurge and buy the complete setup. Our military basic allowance for housing (BAH) has finally kicked in again. So maybe ill get that and a few cages for christmas. :)

skysthelimit":2wxt78wm said:
lissapell":2wxt78wm said:

most of the new heating pads you get in stores auto shut off after 30 minutes, so that wouldn't work.

There are seed starter heating pads available that don't have an auto shut off

3mina":2ckpmxwr said:
skysthelimit":2ckpmxwr said:
lissapell":2ckpmxwr said:

There are seed starter heating pads available that don't have an auto shut off

And the are $20-30 a piece. I have out priced myself before the project even got started.<br /><br />__________ Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 pm __________<br /><br />will grout oats sprout? it's either that or TSC oats.

I'm really having trouble getting my barley grain to sprout much. I've sprouted grains for human consumption a few times with good success. The difference is trays vs. mason jar.
So, I'm going to try sprouting the grain in the mason jar and then move the sprouted barley to the trays? maybe the bought trays help prevent the problems I'm having, but until I can buy them--I want to try it first without an investment!

We did just an experimental tray of rye since we had some on hand. I went ahead and fed it today as a Thanksgiving treat. They loved it!

551561_10151454611951622_1541619712_n.jpg

I am on day 3 of my fodder experiment. I have a bucket for first day sprout starting, a bucket for second day, and two small trays. Two trays because it turns out I started more wheat than I needed to for the size tray I want to use. I started with 3 cups of wheat figuring some for sprouted wheat for the chickens and some for the tray of greens for the rabbits. Well, clearly, I can half that amount! At least until I see if I'm right about how much grass each rabbit will eat. But, for now, I'm pleased to see that the wheat I purchased sprouts very well!

I can't wait to get moved and start up sprouting again. I am hoping to be able to do it in the basement there. I want to buy a system though so that I dont have to work so hard at getting the watering right.

skysthelimit":xpx2oum2 said:
tm_bunnyloft":xpx2oum2 said:
...I could add the Manna Pro Sho supplement to the fodder. I may try it with my meat mutts and see how they do.
Doesn't the show supplement contain corn?
skysthelimit":xpx2oum2 said:
tm_bunnyloft":xpx2oum2 said:
Select Series™ SHO Supplement offers a quick and easy way to transform ordinary rabbit feed into a high quality show feed. By simply adding Select Series SHO Supplement to your rabbit's feeding program you are sure to see desirable changes in your rabbit's appearance along with its overall health.

Made with only the finest ingredients
Supports overall body firmness and condition
Promotes show quality coat condition
Contains papaya and yucca extract
For show rabbits
Ingredients: Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Hominy, Wheat Middlings, Feeding Oatmeal, Soybean Meal, Vegetable Oil, Dried Whey, Brewers Dried Yeast, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, dl-Methionine, l-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Papaya Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Natural and Artificial Flavor
Feed Select Series SHO Supplement at the rate of 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per rabbit per day along with any complete performance feed
Good it's not like calf manna. I will try to find some. TSC where I am at does not carry it.

It sounds like maybe you're satisfied that it does not contain corn? Hominy, the second ingredient in the list, is corn. Specifically, it is corn that is dried and then soaked in a weak lye or lime solution to remove the hull (this process also makes nutrients in the corn more available for absorption by the body). The corn is then washed thoroughly to remove the lye or lime, and then re-dried. Presto -- you have hominy. :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 am __________<br /><br />I want to try the fodder sprouting system very much, after we get a few more major projects under our belts.

I am still following this thread with much interest! :razz:

Ok, so this sparked my curiousity and now, even though I've only read through page 4 and have 6 tabs open with info, I have some initial questions.

1.) Just to make sure I understand the concept right. You take a bunch of seeds, be it barley, oats or whatever, and put them into a container. You then fill the container up with water, have a light source, have the temp between 50-70F and let it sit.(?) After that you....feed it to rabbits? If this is the case it seems like a lot of seeds are being wasted.

2.) Also, I know many people are saying that it saves money with the amount of seeds and produce you get but what about the electricity it uses and the amount of water being used? Doesn't that make your bill increase or is it not enough to effect the cost vs how much you get ratio?

I'm sure I'll edit to add more questions as I really don't understand the concept.

1. You don’t need lights, at least not “grow lights”.
2. The seeds are soaked for 6 hours and then drained. Then put in a tray and rinsed a few times a day. It is fed to the rabbits between day 7 and day 9.
3. The result is an increase in feed of approximately 6x. 1 pound of seed=6 pounds of fodder.

Ok. So to condense 8 pages of posts I'll go through what the steps look like.

1.) Get unrolled oats, barley or whatever other type of seeds barring bird seed.

2.) Get a tote that you can put the seeds in to soak.

3.) Put seeds in tote in a single layer for 6 hours to soak in 50-70F climate.

4.) After 6 hours of soaking take the seeds out and put them into a tote that has holes for draining and water the seeds a few times a day. (How do you know how much to water them?)

5.) After about 7 - 9 days of growth, with normal lighting, you should have about 5x the amount of produce than the seeds you put in the tote.

6.) Take produce out and...feed it to the rabbits all at once? Dry it? What do you do with the grass that the rabbits dont eat? Do you still just feed the rabbits once a day? I remember seeing somewhere earlier in the thread that you are only supposed to feed 3-5% of the rabbits body weight per day. Does that number stay legit even when the grass starts to dry or whatever it does?

EDIT FOR QUESTION: Do you have to feed the rabbit something else other than the produce from the growing project?

mystang89":296i0kqa said:
Ok. So to condense 8 pages of posts I'll go through what the steps look like.

1.) Get unrolled oats, barley or whatever other type of seeds barring bird seed.

2.) Get a tote that you can put the seeds in to soak.

3.) Put seeds in tote in a single layer for 6 hours to soak in 50-70F climate.

4.) After 6 hours of soaking take the seeds out and put them into a tote that has holes for draining and water the seeds a few times a day. (How do you know how much to water them?)

5.) After about 7 - 9 days of growth, with normal lighting, you should have about 5x the amount of produce than the seeds you put in the tote.

6.) Take produce out and...feed it to the rabbits all at once? Dry it? What do you do with the grass that the rabbits dont eat? Do you still just feed the rabbits once a day? I remember seeing somewhere earlier in the thread that you are only supposed to feed 3-5% of the rabbits body weight per day. Does that number stay legit even when the grass starts to dry or whatever it does?

EDIT FOR QUESTION: Do you have to feed the rabbit something else other than the produce from the growing project?

To answer:

1) Whole Oats are *possible* but difficult to sprout, barley seems to be the best if you can find whole barley, wheat grains are also very good.
2) correct
3) single layer not necessary. Just make sure the seeds are cover with twice as much water as seeds. Correct on soaking time/temp.
4) correct. You will have to watch and see what is needed in your environment. I think the temps/humidity of the environment will affect this. This is a “your mileage may vary” situation.
4a) After 24 hours in the “tote with holes” you transfer to a flat with holes. How thick to layer seems to depend on who is doing the telling. I make about a half inch thick layer.
5) correct.
6) Feed immediately. I toss leftovers to my chickens. You may try dehydrating into a “hay”. I give the fodder (and other items like rosebush, weeds, apple, carrot, etc) in the morning and pellets at night. But, they have yet to fully sign on to the fodder idea. This is another of those “your mileage may vary” situations where you and your rabbits will need to figure out what is optimal. Feeding pellets is easy. Feeding a non-pellet diet requires a lot more thought and observation of your rabbits.

Back