Floor of the cage size?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I" by 1/2" is the standard floor wire, Logan. For dwarf breeds, one could use 1/2" by 1/2" inch, but larger rabbits benefit from the stronger 1" by 1/2". It should be a heavy gauge wire... nice and strong.

I have a rather large cage in my barn with 1/2x1/2. The wire is like 14g galvanized after. The problem is, I can only use it for fryers. The poop from bigger rabbits won't fall through.

I never had problems with the 1/2x1/2 wire, all my rabbits used to be in them. I DID NOT like, however, that it began bowing really early. Drove me nuts. I don't have those cages anymore.

wire strength depends entirely on how thick (gage) the wire is and what it is made out of, if you have the same wire, welded into a 1x 1/2 and a 1/2x1/2, the smaller, half by half will be the more rigid of the two. However with smaller mesh I have found that I have a much harder time with pellets sticking to the floor and not dropping though.

IF you are using hardware cloth (20+ gage) you are going to kill the poor rabbits feet.

Hi, Logan! Great to see you again! I've been wondering how you were doing.

I use 1"x1/2" wire for all my cage floors. In my case, I can't get actual cage wire in any smaller mesh with the same gauge wire. Smaller mesh here is always hardware cloth, which would NOT be good for bunny feet.

One of my projects this next year is to make my nest box floors of pegboard and treat the pegboard to make it more durable and easy to clean (like avdpas77 does). That would at least mitigate the problem of baby bunny legs going through the nest box floor. Once the babies are able to climb out of the nest box, 1"x1/2" flooring doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

I have one cage with 1/2 by 1/2 wire for the floor and even though it's one of my larger cages if I put anything bigger then a Mini Rex in it the poops tend to be to big to fall through :x

All my cages use 1" X 1/2" wire on the floors. Like others have said before, it's stronger.

Back