Flies!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any tips for trying to semi-control them? We live out in the country and are surrounded by cow pasture and have chickens and rabbits ourselves. They are brutal. They really really like our house as well (I am guessing the light color based on which vehicles they swarm to). I hate hate hate them. They drive me nuts! And I am sure the animals are none-too-thrilled with them either. I am trying the hanging bag of water with pennies in it and actually it almost seems like it is helping a little? (I hung it over the bowls of puppy food).

If you have chickens and the flies are still out of control, I got nuthin' for you..... :oops: Except the question: Do your chickens have access to the manure from the cows and bunnies? Ours live directly below our rabbits and our fly problem is virtually nonexistent, because they scratch in the manure and disturb the flies and eat any larvae. :p

Surrounded by cow pasture... I don't know if you can successfully fight all the flies you're getting from that. :(

We do get flies for a little while in the summer. We haven't had a bad year with them, and what we do have is not coming from the rabbitry. As Galadriel pointed out, the chickens take care of them in there.

I think there are some fly traps you can get or make. Here's a simple one: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... -fly-trap/ In the comments, some have great success with it as is, others add a cover to the top of it, holding it up from the trap with dowels or something else the flies can fit under. The cover would be black on the bottom, and light on top. The dark bottom makes it even harder for a fly to see the way back out again, the light top helps attract them.

I was curious about this as well, but I do not live on a farm. I just want to prevent fly strike! ;)
I heard rosemary, and garlic repels them. (I'm using garlic now, and it seems to be helping, but my love for herbs leads me to go get some rosemary. ;) )
I went to buy some rosemary, and found about 3 different kinds at my grocery store! :shock: I didn't know there was different kinds of rosemary! (Call me ignorant. :oops: ) Anyway, does anyone know which one prevents flies? Or do they all? (I have a reference website to some great herbs that do different wonders for rabbits...are we allowed to post other rabbitry links on here?)

Would it be best to dry the rosemary and hang it around the cages, or plant pots of fresh rosemary around the cages?

Also, does anyone here use grapefruit seed extract as de-wormer for their rabbits? (I'm just full of questions today aren't I? :roll: )

Easy Ears":ko41c92p said:
I was curious about this as well, but I do not live on a farm. I just want to prevent fly strike! ;)
I heard rosemary, and garlic repels them. (I'm using garlic now, and it seems to be helping, but my love for herbs leads me to go get some rosemary. ;) )
I went to buy some rosemary, and found about 3 different kinds at my grocery store! :shock: I didn't know there was different kinds of rosemary! (Call me ignorant. :oops: ) Anyway, does anyone know which one prevents flies? Or do they all? (I have a reference website to some great herbs that do different wonders for rabbits...are we allowed to post other rabbitry links on here?)

Would it be best to dry the rosemary and hang it around the cages, or plant pots of fresh rosemary around the cages?

Also, does anyone here use grapefruit seed extract as de-wormer for their rabbits? (I'm just full of questions today aren't I? :roll: )
"Fly strike" does not come from common house, manure , or cattle eating flies, it is a specialized fly not your common livestock, or house fly

I have found that catnip (Nepeta cataria) is an excellent fly and mosquito repellent. We are fortunate that it grows like a weed here. Once established, it will become a bit invasive, but if flies are a problem this is a good thing. Make sure you get the old-fashioned catnip, not one of the ornamental varieties. They are nice, but not nearly as strong.

I've heard that ducks are also excellent for fly control - even better than chickens.

In the house, our cat Jenny keeps the insects under control. She loves to hunt flies and I have seen only one spider the whole winter, so she must be hunting them too. I wish she would kill those Asian ladybugs, but she ignores them. They smell bad and I'll bet they would taste bad too.

I think I just lost a chicken b/c of the flies. She was dead in the run, her vent area full of maggots (oh, was it nasty!). I just trimmed off some feathers from their vent areas where it was building up - mites I guess? - and dusted the whole flock, too little too late I guess). My mama rabbit still has a lot of discharge (something I need to ask about as well) - I wonder how great of a risk there is for her?

Aye... if I didn't loathe summer enough, this is enough to really make me want to scream!

Easy Ears":2yy2mpiv said:
I went to buy some rosemary, and found about 3 different kinds at my grocery store! :shock: I didn't know there was different kinds of rosemary! (Call me ignorant. :oops: ) Anyway, does anyone know which one prevents flies? Or do they all?
They are likely all varieties of Rosmarinus officinalis. Buy the one that smells the strongest when then leaves are handled.

(I have a reference website to some great herbs that do different wonders for rabbits...are we allowed to post other rabbitry links on here?)
Yes, we allow other rabbitry links to be posted. Good information is good information.

I think fresh would be more effective, but the foliage would have to be bruised to release the scent. It could be hard on the plants over time.

An alternative herb to use for fly and mosquito control is catnip. See my post above about it if it interests you.

heritage":199nazn7 said:
I think I just lost a chicken b/c of the flies. She was dead in the run, her vent area full of maggots (oh, was it nasty!). I just trimmed off some feathers from their vent areas where it was building up - mites I guess? - and dusted the whole flock, too little too late I guess). My mama rabbit still has a lot of discharge (something I need to ask about as well) - I wonder how great of a risk there is for her?

Aye... if I didn't loathe summer enough, this is enough to really make me want to scream!

I think you should make a topic post about this... :shock: We have some very chicken savvy members..just thinking about the rest of your flock. With the momma bun too there will be more info needed like where is discharge? How ling ? and what color? any other symptoms? We want to help because loosing any animal is painful to you and them..worried for you..please post this in a topic so we can help!! :cry:

katiebear":1i8zr4dw said:
heritage":1i8zr4dw said:

I think you should make a topic post about this... :shock: We have some very chicken savvy members..just thinking about the rest of your flock. With the momma bun too there will be more info needed like where is discharge? How ling ? and what color? any other symptoms? We want to help because loosing any animal is painful to you and them..worried for you..please post this in a topic so we can help!! :cry:

Thanks! I am on the run right now, but will post when I get back about each. I didn't want to be a newbie and totally bombard the boards with questions :oops:

JMHO-- when in warm humid areas, [or any where else] chickens will do a lot better if they can eat their fill of green grass, [and they are much less likely to pick on each other, ]
when in Florida, I had some hens 12 to 14 years old still laying eggs, but chickens that can not get out and eat grass and bugs will not last even 1/2 that long.
-- usually maggots are a result of a wound becoming infected, -- if chickens eat a lot of fly maggots [not BSF] they will have damage to their necks [ the reason is the maggots eat the muscles] - so clean foraging areas are always the best , because if they have a lot of old wet poopy areas they will scratch out the maggots and eat too many.
again, JMHO

michaels4gardens":ohbqqeq3 said:
JMHO-- when in warm humid areas, [or any where else] chickens will do a lot better if they can eat their fill of green grass, [and they are much less likely to pick on each other, ]
when in Florida, I had some hens 12 to 14 years old still laying eggs, but chickens that can not get out and eat grass and bugs will not last even 1/2 that long.
-- usually maggots are a result of a wound becoming infected, -- if chickens eat a lot of fly maggots [not BSF] they will have damage to their necks [ the reason is the maggots eat the muscles] - so clean foraging areas are always the best , because if they have a lot of old wet poopy areas they will scratch out the maggots and eat too many.
again, JMHO

Ours have recently been contained to a run after free ranging for a few years (just couldn't deal with the poop anymore! especially kids falling in it in the yard, on our front sidewalk and porch getting tracked in, etc.). It is decent size, but still dirt at this point. I did block off one area with wire covered frames for grass to grow up through so they can get more access to it. I found another one dead in the coop this morning - looked like a prolapsed vent. I know i have a couple with that issue currently. Argh. Just when I thought things were settling down! I have some narrow chicken wire to make some tunnels with, I guess I need to get on that! DH said we could make a tractor of sorts with a bunch of PVC and bird netting so I can rotate them in the yard. It does seem that quite a few of their issues started when they got penned in.

michaels4gardens":3sqajd0z said:
Easy Ears":3sqajd0z said:

"Fly strike" does not come from common house, manure , or cattle eating flies, it is a specialized fly not your common livestock, or house fly

So if I understand correctly, common houseflies won't lay eggs on the rabbits? So you don't have to worry about worms from houseflies? I don't see them bothering the rabbits...just in the pee trays below, and occasionally flying around the hutches. So only a specific fly can give rabbits maggots? (Sorry, I know this is an old thread) I have hutches outside for my rabbits but have currently been seeing lots of flies as it is growing warmer. I tried mixing a handful of crushed garlic cloves in water and spreading it about the rabbitry...that seemed to work for a bit but doesn't last long. I also tried rosemary, but the flies just land right on it and don't seem to mind. I'm going to start looking for some catnip to try next....can the rabbits eat it as well? If that doesn't work I'll just go buy some fly-off for horses like Celice suggested.

Easy Ears, it is likely that all varieties of rosemary have the same properties, but I would go with the classic Rosmarinus officinalis if I were you.

My absolutely favourite herb for repelling flies and mosquitoes is catnip - again the old-fashioned Nepeta cataria works better than the ornamental cultivars. I used to hang bunches of fresh catnip in the rabbitry and give them a squeeze to release the scent. Very effective!

I use the fresh leaves as an insect repellent for myself too. Just crush them and apply to skin and clothing. Some people do not like the smell, but I don't mind it . . . and my little cat, Jenny, thinks I smell purr-fectly nice. :p

Catnip is a hardy plant, grows and spreads well once it is established. It can be invasive, but is not difficult to control. Cutting it back before it goes to seed and hand-pulling unwanted clumps of the plant will keep it under control.

In addition to everyone's natural in-the-rabbitry fly solutions, I keep one of these hanging outside http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Rescue-D ... s=fly+trap

We are surrounded by commercial ag, so flies abound here and have been a constant nuisance inside and out before I started using these. I go out with some water once a week to fill it back to the fill line.

They stink, so I keep it far from the house and flies can't seem to resist it! Product says it will hold 20,000 flies. We had one that was looking full and the wind blew it off the hook I hung it on and burst when it hit the ground. I decided to see if I could quantify the flies even though the trap had partially liquefied them. Yeah, it's as :sick: as it sounds. Contents of the trap, flies plus bait, was about 700ml. We measured off 10 ml and let it dry in the sun, then came back to count flies. We counted 239 heads. If we generalize that out, it comes to about 17,000 flies. It's a small, non-scientific sample, but I stand by my findings and you couldn't pay me to repeat it.

Anyway, I've found that these traps really reduce the overall fly population and make my natural repellents more effective.

Back