Fleas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We have a huge flea problem, and nothing is working. I have treated every animal we have except the baby bunnies, multiple times. My question is, what can I do for the rabbits? Does anyone know of a flea treatment that works for them?

Dusting below the cages with with diatomaceous earth is the only flea treatment I've ever used. We have a huge feral cat problem, so fleas are rampant, but they seem to leave the rabbits alone. The dogs get treated with frontline.

I would powder ALL of your animals with food grade DE. It is not a quick kill- the fleas will take a day or two to die- but every dead flea means less eggs laid, so you should see a dramatic reduction in the flea problem in a couple of weeks. You can also lightly powder your carpeting (especially along baseboards) and your animals' bedding.

Female fleas can lay up to 50 eggs a day. Depending on environmental conditions, the eggs hatch in 2 days to 2 weeks. The larval stage lasts 5-18 days at which point it spins a cocoon and will hatch in 3-5 days, although they can remain dormant for a year or more... this is why you hear of people going into a vacant house and getting swarmed by fleas- the vibrations of their movement plus the carbon dioxide we exhale tells the little buggers that food has finally arrived. :x

I would also try making some of the traps I posted about here post268084.html and place them around your property.

I don't know if catnip (Nepeta cataria) works against fleas, but it definitely helps repel mosquitoes and flies. Might be worth a try. It is safe for rabbits and cats and (I assume) dogs as well. But don't use it on pregnant or nursing does-- like mint, it tends to dry up their milk.

Back