Register

FLAX SEED (THE RESULTS)

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

FLAX SEED (THE RESULTS)

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 am

I had to make a different thread on this.... I have been using FLAX seed now for 6 weeks.. I feed every morning with the rolled oats in a separate dish... My god do i ever see a difference in my rabbits. I see a difference in there fur and over all feal.. Not to mention there alertness. Very active ,, I am impress... Young babies can tolerate it no problem.They come to the door looking for it and bright eyes.
ALso i have a mother on it that i am giving her double the dose than anyone else. The reason for that , She was very slim when i got her. Always looking for food. The person breed her 3 times in a row and couldnt get any live babies from her... So i bought her knowing the fact of her not giving births... So i did some research in started the flax seed. I started with her and then everyone else. along with other supplements. I breed her a week later . She had 4 live babies. and she is looking after them like any mother does. I kept checking to make sure her babies were fed and still alive. The is her 4th litter in a row. But her first litter with me. I can say she and I did it. I cslled the breeder and told this person. He/she had a hard believing me ... Everyone is getting a little more flax see now since it is getting cooler. I am impress what this stuff does... ....
SO THOSE HOLLAND LOPS THAT ARE NOT GETTING ANY LIVE BIRTHS.. PLEASE TRY THIS AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES. .. it dosnt hurt to try it.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,674.00

Re: FLAX SEED (THE RESULTS)

Post Number:#2  Unread postby caroline » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 am

thanks for the thread. Are you using it because you think it will help them put on weight, or is it about supporting pregnancy or something else?
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~ Love that brown gene!

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:57 am

No, it dosnt put on weight. That is the thing. It is over all important to the body in all ages of the rabbit. I am sure the older the rabbit more you should give it. I think it really helps the body in general. If she is pregnant i think she should have more than the others.
I think it helps to absorb all Nutrients from others foods like hay ect.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,603.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 am

Interesting information, Mary Ann! Thanks for posting about it. :)

About how much do you feed per rabbit per day?

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 am

I just started off with a little pinch. .. Now i am up to about 1/4 of a teaspoon. I am watching for any loose poops or sticky poops ect. All good so far. I have enough rabbits and differnt ages to see if one effect there poops over the others. I know the sunshine supplement i have to be careful with the younger babies and not to give to much to some of the others as it give to much soft poops and sometimes to rich so they dont eat all there night poops... But with the flax seed i see none of that. And it dosnt put on weight on the rabbit. But i think it dose help put it on with other supplements...if that makes any sense at all.
Last edited by Mary Ann's Rabbitry on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby skysthelimit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 am

I've been reading your Flax seed info with interest, and I am going to give it a try.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am

Good sky. Let me know what you think after couple of weeks.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

I know that horse people swear by flax. Many people grind it before feeding to make sure all of the nutrients are made available in the belief that the whole seeds can travel through the digestive tract without nutrient absorption, but that seems to be a myth. Once ground, flax meal goes rancid quickly, so it would have to be fed immediately for optimal benefit.

http://www.understanding-horse-nutritio ... -seed.html

Mary Ann's Rabbitry wrote:I am watching for any loose poops or sticky poops ect.

The high oil content might cause diarrhea, but I would guess that the high fiber content balances that out.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 1,307.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Rexisbest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 am

Are you feeding ground or whole? Always liked the shine it put on my horses, will try with rabbits!

BunnyBucks: 2,075.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby tnelsonfla » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 am

The feed store near me sells 5 lbs bags of flax seeds and ground flax seed for $7.59 a bag. I add the whole seeds to my seed mixture as well, for the last few months.
Tom
Havana's**Palm Beach Rabbitry

http://palmbeachrabbitry.weebly.com/

That is not a puppy!

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 pm

I feed it whole. Rabbits dont eat anything that is grounded up. Plus the eat there night poop.. so i think most of the nutrients is in it. It isnt just the shine on the fur. It is the whole .. and better for pregnant moms.

The following user would like to thank Mary Ann's Rabbitry for this post
Rexisbest

BunnyBucks: 1,307.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Rexisbest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks Mary Ann! I will give this a shot!

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 pm

your welcome. just come back later and give us a update as to what you think.

BunnyBucks: 2,140.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby siddsaysgimmie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm

I'm not having any problems with my rabbits, but I think I'll give it a try anyway. :)

BunnyBucks: 10,233.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm

I used to feed flax to my horses and did very well in Halter and showmanship classes. Maybe I'll give it a try as well. Can't hurt since I'm not getting any live litters these days.

__________ Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:53 pm __________

I just read elsewhere that it does help with wool block, increases fertility and productivity as well. I am going to put my woolys on it asap.

Next