Register

FLAX SEED (THE RESULTS)

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Re: FLAX SEED (THE RESULTS)

Post Number:#31  Unread postby skysthelimit » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:06 pm

I use MannaPro now. I'm just thinking, instead of buying BOSS, take the same extra $10-20 and upgrade to the higher protein Manna Pro formulas. And then adding the Flax seed, I don't need the BOSS.
Last edited by skysthelimit on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,233.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Thats a good idea. :)

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm

skysthelimit wrote:Craigslist ads for hay still result in a drive that is 50 miles away.

We have to drive 50 miles to go grocery shopping! :lol:

Do you know anyone that has a truck? We can fit 22 bales in the bed of our Ford F-250. Or a vehicle with a trailer hitch? You would have to do the math, but it might be cost effective to rent a U-Haul flatbed trailer for a day and go buy a dozen bales or more.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#34  Unread postby skysthelimit » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:
skysthelimit wrote:Craigslist ads for hay still result in a drive that is 50 miles away.

Do you know anyone that has a truck? We can fit 22 bales in the bed of our Ford F-250. Or a vehicle with a trailer hitch? You would have to do the math, but it might be cost effective to rent a U-Haul flatbed trailer for a day and go buy a dozen bales or more.

My dad has a truck, but he's not gonna let me put hay in it. I was thinking something like, but then I have to store them. I have no where for them to go that they won;t get wet or peed on.
50 miles away to shop? That is the thing that keeps me in the city. Walmart is within walking distance, grocery stores are so close it's almost a shame to drive there.

And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds. I will order from eBay.

__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 pm __________

Got a question. I dust my feed with DE, doesn't stop the rabbits from eating. Why can't I dust the feed with milled or ground flax seed as well?

Post Number:#35  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:39 pm

I would think you can. I don't see a reason not to.

BunnyBucks: 11,295.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby ZRabbits » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Started Luna on a pinch of flax seed. My husband found them (whole) at the health store. Will start the rest of the Tribe on it tomorrow morning. Will let you know how they all do. Luna really enjoyed the Flax, BTW. Husband also picked up some sunflower seeds as well.

Karen

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 am

skysthelimit wrote:And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds.

sky, you can find flax seed where you are.. In the grocery store in the baking section .. You can find it there. Or walmart has it in the baking section also.... everyone carries it.

__________ Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:12 am __________

ZRabbits wrote:Started Luna on a pinch of flax seed. My husband found them (whole) at the health store. Will start the rest of the Tribe on it tomorrow morning. Will let you know how they all do. Luna really enjoyed the Flax, BTW. Husband also picked up some sunflower seeds as well.

Karen

That is good to hear Karen...it is really good for there immune system :)

__________ Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 am __________

skysthelimit wrote:
MamaSheepdog wrote:

My dad has a truck, but he's not gonna let me put hay in it. I was thinking something like, but then I have to store them. I have no where for them to go that they won;t get wet or peed on.
50 miles away to shop? That is the thing that keeps me in the city. Walmart is within walking distance, grocery stores are so close it's almost a shame to drive there.

And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds. I will order from eBay.

__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 pm __________

Got a question. I dust my feed with DE, doesn't stop the rabbits from eating. Why can't I dust the feed with milled or ground flax seed as well?

It loses its nutrients fast. Alot of it gets wasted.. Rabbits dont eat ground up food like chickens can.

Post Number:#38  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:03 am

Oh and it goes rancid quickly once ground. I forgot about that.

Post Number:#39  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:17 am

Mary Ann's Rabbitry wrote:
skysthelimit wrote:And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds.

sky, you can find flax seed where you are.. In the grocery store in the baking section .. You can find it there. Or walmart has it in the baking section also.... everyone carries it.

I went there yesterday, they only have milled and ground. Checked the baking aisle and health food aisle. Walmart is very regional, depending on where you are, you can even get pelleted horse feed, but urban store does not carry it.

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#40  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

oh wow.. No horse feed here. Just your normal groceries in at walmart.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Post Number:#41  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Sky, did you try a health food or bulk food store. There is a chain here called BulkBarn that carries whole flax seed. It's about 23 cents per hundred grams... $1.25/lb. But with rabbits it would go a long way.

Post Number:#42  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:43 pm

I just bought whole flax seed for $2.50/pound. And dehydrated papaya for $1.50 per pound. :)

Post Number:#43  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

There is one here called Hobarts, I just haven't gotten home early enough to get there yet. I was hoping to get it asap, so I tried Walmart, but I will just have to wait till Saturday.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#44  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Does Flax seed cause gas in rabbits like it does in people? I had someone make me a smoothie once and she put a bunch of ground flax seed in it. About two hours later, I thought I was going to DIE from the pain! Sure would hate to do that to any of my rabbits....

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Post Number:#45  Unread postby tm_bunnyloft » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 pm

People should use flax seed sparingly and start with a very small amount moving up gradually. I think your friend may have given you way to much to begin with. Next time tell her to just give you a pinch.

Flax seed is so good for so many things.....
http://voices.yahoo.com/does-flaxseed-c ... html?cat=5

PreviousNext