Register

first time ive ever killed something

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: April 20, 2017
Location: Bakersfield, CA
United States of America Male
Thanks: 16
Thanked: 3 in 3 posts
BunnyBucks: 85.00

first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Psybird » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:21 am


i didnt expect it to feel so weird :|

so i was outside watering some plants i have when i stumbled across a little dove baby. ive had a couple of them roost in the eves of my house this summer so i wasnt surprised to see it. what did surprise me was the fact that it was missing an entire wing!
im not sure how long it had been like that, there was a little blood on it that was still a bit wet but it wasnt moving much. im not sure what got to it, or why it didnt finish the job, but it was obvious the little thing was on its last legs. when i picked it up i noticed that one of its legs was broken as well.
soooo i did what needed to be done. the poor thing was so fragile that when i tried dislocating its neck i did it so fast and hard that i pulled its head clean off. after that it was a little weird. ive never killed anything before and it was certainly an experience holding such a little bird in my hands while it was in its death throws.

im glad to say that the little thing didnt go to waste. i cleaned it, plucked it, and checked its organs (very healthy liver!) and basically fed all the meat to one of my cats. my other 2 cats were not interested at all lol, i guess they dont like dove meat :lol:

i guess this experience should help me for when i actually start raising rabbits.

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 16907
Joined: December 16, 2009
Location: South Eastern Ontario
Canada Female
Thanks: 938
Thanked: 2647 in 2028 posts
BunnyBucks: 61,379.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:29 am


It does feel weird--especially the first time you have to do it--but in cases of ending an animal's suffering, it is useful to know that you can handle it. And yes, the experience will help when you are raising rabbits.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 601
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,371.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#3  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 pm


:yeahthat:

When I had to euthanise a sick baby bunny I also ended up ripping the head off. I certainly was shocked at how fragile the babies were compared to an adult and felt puzzled. At least I knew he wasnt suffering anymore so that's what matters in the end.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 17
Joined: April 20, 2017
Location: Bakersfield, CA
United States of America Male
Thanks: 16
Thanked: 3 in 3 posts
BunnyBucks: 85.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Psybird » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 am


MaggieJ wrote:It does feel weird--especially the first time you have to do it--but in cases of ending an animal's suffering, it is useful to know that you can handle it. And yes, the experience will help when you are raising rabbits.


yeah, ive definitely seen all the threads of others talking about the terminal issues their rabbits go through, im glad i know ill be able to take care of it now

KimitsuKouseki wrote::yeahthat:

When I had to euthanise a sick baby bunny I also ended up ripping the head off. I certainly was shocked at how fragile the babies were compared to an adult and felt puzzled. At least I knew he wasnt suffering anymore so that's what matters in the end.


ill tell you one thing, it definitely spooked me a little bit :o

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 601
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,371.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 am


Psybird wrote:ill tell you one thing, it definitely spooked me a little bit :o

Yup :lol: me too. I'm less weirded out by the skinless head then by a furry bodyless head. Part of why I skin my rabbits the way I do XD

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 225
Joined: July 4, 2017
Location: Iowa
United States of America
Thanks: 7
Thanked: 15 in 15 posts
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Maleficent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm


I just ended up in the same boat as you. Certainly was a surreal experience. I was sad yes but I say it as more of a learning opportunity. Now i know i can go through with it.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 601
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 102 in 89 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,371.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#7  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 pm


Maleficent wrote:I just ended up in the same boat as you. Certainly was a surreal experience. I was sad yes but I say it as more of a learning opportunity. Now i know i can go through with it.

That's good ^^ I'm glad the butchering day went well for you.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 225
Joined: July 4, 2017
Location: Iowa
United States of America
Thanks: 7
Thanked: 15 in 15 posts
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Maleficent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 pm


KimitsuKouseki wrote:
Maleficent wrote:I just ended up in the same boat as you. Certainly was a surreal experience. I was sad yes but I say it as more of a learning opportunity. Now i know i can go through with it.

That's good ^^ I'm glad the butchering day went well for you.

Yeah, I was tempted to ask her if I could do one of the 11 mismarked dutch babies she had gotten for free as a first try. In the end she did step in to make sure she was gone. Kind of weird to hold a limp rabbit body. She helped me skin the doe in such a way I got the majority of her mane. Of courses she had to be in the middle of molt though. A lot of fur may slip.Oh, it turns out the doe wasn't 4+ years like we thought when I got her. She skinned way to easily. More like just over a year.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 175
Joined: October 10, 2017
Location: Texas Zone 8
United States of America Male
Thanks: 42
Thanked: 38 in 31 posts
BunnyBucks: 1,063.00

Re: first time ive ever killed something

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Ghost » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 pm


Psybird wrote:so i was outside watering some plants i have when i stumbled across a little dove baby. ive had a couple of them roost in the eves of my house this summer so i wasnt surprised to see it. what did surprise me was the fact that it was missing an entire wing!
im not sure how long it had been like that, there was a little blood on it that was still a bit wet but it wasnt moving much. im not sure what got to it, or why it didnt finish the job, but it was obvious the little thing was on its last legs. when i picked it up i noticed that one of its legs was broken as well.
soooo i did what needed to be done. the poor thing was so fragile that when i tried dislocating its neck i did it so fast and hard that i pulled its head clean off. after that it was a little weird. ive never killed anything before and it was certainly an experience holding such a little bird in my hands while it was in its death throws.


I know this is an old post, but I would still like to say I'm glad you had the inner strength to do what needed to be done. I remember the first time I was in a similar situation. I was just out of high school, taking classes at junior college. After class I found a dove that was very sick. I wanted to help it, but after looking over it, I realized that even with the most expensive vet it would still most likely die.

A grounds keeper came by and offered to euthanize (dislocate the neck) the bird. I wanted to tell him that I agreed, that it would be the most humane thing to do. But I was not even able to say the words. I left quickly I'm sure he ended the birds suffering, but I was even scared to be around.

It took many years, but I was able to gain that inner strength. I do have piece of mind that I can end suffering, but it can sometimes come with the cost of sadness.
You have to do the most good for the most. You must remember that a few won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests