first time doe kindled this afternoon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Snowing again today--high in the 30's and both our first time does at day 31. Eliot just kindled 8 kits, all in the nest and looking good, plenty of fur. She growled at having the nest box pulled to check on kits. After the fiasco with Alna last spring I was a little worried, but she's done well.
The other doe due today I don't think took. She was one of those questionable breedings I've written about with our buck. She hasn't haystached at all, ignores the nest box that went in on day 28. Will give her another few days and then check to see if she looks ready to breed. She never looked really ready before, only medium pink, but she was 9 months old so didn't want to wait. Do some does just never come fully into readiness to breed?
Rebred Casco (she kindled a month ago, our first litter for the year) this morning and she lifted right away, 2 covers both with fall offs followed by stomping by the buck so I guess he's growing up or something.
We're happy with 3 out of 4. Didn't intend to keep these 2 young does long anyway. Hoping to keep a doe from Casco's first litter to breed in the fall.
Glad for some good news after our first time seeing nest box eye in Berwick's 2 week old litter. Just 2 kits out of 8 and one didn't crust over again after one cleaning, the other took a few times to stay clear. Now if it would just stop snowing . . .

Snow ... Yuck!
Congrats on the successful litter. Hope your other doe surprises you, a day late! I really don't bother checking a doe's "readiness". If she starts to lift before I even pick her up, I know she's ready. :!:

Back