first time breeding rabbits **added video link in OP**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
well today i bred the dutch doe to the dutch buck. cleaned out the cage as they went at it and let the kits pig out as they wished on some pellets and a carrot peice (which they only hate half of anyhow). i wanted to make sure that if anything went wrong i could get an opinion on what it was so i recorded it on my camera. he covered her five times while i recorded. and another four or five as i tidied up her cage.
i returned her to her cage (also note that today is the first time she let me touch her. i pet her a good bit now that she let me.) and she had about 15 minutes to herself while i weighed the kits (which i have in another topic). then i put the kits back in the cage with her.
so 31 days later will be march 17 (st patricks day).
about to load the video to my youtube. i will post a link later when it loads.
thanks! :)

**video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XIs2vrL ... e=youtu.be

You really only need two or three "covers"...more than that is just wearing out your buck...

skysthelimit":35bh673v said:
My buck covered once, and got seven kits;)

I just read some info someone posted on the Yahoo Meat Rabbit group of a study that came to the conclusion that the most of the sperm is expended in the first two ejaculations. After that, it is next to nothing...

hm... interesting. well now i know. good to know those things. :) thanks

i dont think the buck would agree though ;) he didnt want me to take his girly. he did some more "thumps" with his feet after i took her back to her cage. and he was beating up his empty food bowl.

Congratulations on breeding today! I'm glad it went so well. Obviously, you have a very enthusiastic buck! :lol:

OneAcreFarm":3f88ovov said:
I just read some info someone posted on the Yahoo Meat Rabbit group of a study that came to the conclusion that the most of the sperm is expended in the first two ejaculations.

Hmmm... I wonder how long they take to "re-load"? I often have a buck service two does on the same day, usually covering each at least twice. I'll have to compare litter sizes. It might be better to allow only one cover and then breed back later in the day when breeding more than one doe.

Sky,

I've had successful litters after one cover as well.

MamaSheepdog":d6kibm66 said:
Congratulations on breeding today! I'm glad it went so well. Obviously, you have a very enthusiastic buck! :lol:

OneAcreFarm":d6kibm66 said:
I just read some info someone posted on the Yahoo Meat Rabbit group of a study that came to the conclusion that the most of the sperm is expended in the first two ejaculations.

Hmmm... I wonder how long they take to "re-load"? I often have a buck service two does on the same day, usually covering each at least twice. I'll have to compare litter sizes. It might be better to allow only one cover and then breed back later in the day when breeding more than one doe.

The conclusion of the study was to use a buck with a doe for two services in the morning and then use him again the next day for two services...OR use him for two services in the morning, two in the evening then skip a day before using again. These two scenarios gave the highest sperm counts and largest litter counts.

Shannon

so that's probably why my second doe didn't take. i breed her 1 hour after the first one. better to wait a day? seems like we are all coming to the same conclusion.

Back